Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Text Messaging & Chat Abbreviations

I sometimes get confused with text abbreviations, an age thing.

My Grandchildren especially come from planet Zog.

This site helps me out. I also try to find some off the wall abbreviations just to get my own back. LOL.

http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/t...reviations.asp

As a rule if I text I try to use correct English. Do you think that our young people are losing valuable skills, such as correct spelling and for that matter can they write using a pen or pencil?

To be honest due to my hands being reduced to things that are the end of my arms, side effects of Chemo (button fingers) I cannot even write my own name and I thank God for the invention of the key pad,
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Re: Text Messaging & Chat Abbreviations

Not really. After all, they only use one word, LIKE.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 03:12 AM

I'm a bit long in the tooth but admit I do use some of the common ones. But nothing beats traditional clearly punctuated English.......
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 08:59 AM

I'm afraid I'm a stickler for writing texts using full words and proper punctuation. I sometimes get annoyed when I can't seem to get a capital letter when I need one, is there a trick to that? The only time I can get a capital is after a full stop of some kind, is there another way?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 11:11 AM

I have never used text to anyone, if I want to contact someone I phone or e/mail. I can barely use the computer and I'm too old and lazy to learn a new language, (thats what it looks like to me). I'm not sure about kids losing language skills, just try to read some of the olde English text and its not easy to decipher.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I'm afraid I'm a stickler for writing texts using full words and proper punctuation. I sometimes get annoyed when I can't seem to get a capital letter when I need one, is there a trick to that? The only time I can get a capital is after a full stop of some kind, is there another way?
Yes.. on a Nokia for instance you'd type

eg.
I am currently staying in New York.

To get the capital N after no full stop you would press the key that shows an arrow up and the hash sign till the first letter shows a capital. This is done even if you dont use predictive texting.

On other models it'll apply by pressing whichever button changes your predictive text option to the one by one letter system. Ususally its the very bottom either left or right button.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
This works on certain makes. The star key * bottom left of the key pad will change the type key, to numbers, capital etc.

Hope this helps.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 04:31 PM

It takes me ages to write a text and it's always in proper English.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 07:39 PM

Me too Mags, I do it on purpose to show them how it should be done.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Yes.. on a Nokia for instance you'd type

eg.
I am currently staying in New York.

To get the capital N after no full stop you would press the key that shows an arrow up and the hash sign till the first letter shows a capital. This is done even if you dont use predictive texting.

On other models it'll apply by pressing whichever button changes your predictive text option to the one by one letter system. Ususally its the very bottom either left or right button.
Thanks Cassie and all for your advice. It didn't quite work like that Cassie, but I found on my Nokia that when you press the hash key the case changes from upper to lower to upper to lower....simples.

Why didn`t I think of that?

Thanks again everyone..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top