Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 01:06 PM

Don't put a coconut in a coffin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-42920984

This news item made me giggle, although there could be dangerous consequences.

Apparently a coconut, which had been put in a coffin, exploded when it was being incinerated at the crem. People are putting all sorts of weird items in with the corpses.

I believe my sister put some items that belonged to my mother into her coffin before she was buried, like her school photo in it frame, her handbag and one or two other bits and pieces.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 01:10 PM

Re: Don't put a coconut in a coffin

Our friend Paddy was recently interred with enough brandy and cigarettes to stock a small pub. His son who was a pull bearer said he had to bite his lip to stop himself laughing as they brought the coffin out of the house and the bottles all clanked
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 01:18 PM

We live very close to local cremotorium I've seen notices going up recently saying to tell the crem what's on the coffin before the service, I did wonder what they were about but this now makes more sense.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 01:27 PM

I must warn our eldest girl, who is a vicar, about this. She might need to wear a flak jacket when she next takes a funeral service at the crem.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 01:33 PM

I went to a funeral the other week. The man was a keen fisherman and his fishing rods were attached to the side of the coffin.
As he was being buried, the family threw floats, instead of roses, onto the coffin!
We were all invited to pick a float and throw it in!

His son, my cousin’s husband, is an undertaker, so he got the best of funerals with a horse drawn carriage, the lot!!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 01:36 PM

I often wonder what happens with rings etc that are left on the corpse? my SIL insisted that MIL was cremated wearing her wedding rings seemed daft to me but everyone was so upset I kept quiet.... I do wonder though do they actually go in the incinerator.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I often wonder what happens with rings etc that are left on the corpse? my SIL insisted that MIL was cremated wearing her wedding rings seemed daft to me but everyone was so upset I kept quiet.... I do wonder though do they actually go in the incinerator.

All gold from rings and teeth, metals from hips etc, are recovered after cremation and sent for recycling
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
All gold from rings and teeth, metals from hips etc, are recovered after cremation and sent for recycling
Thank you Missy
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 01:54 PM

I think they take the handles off the coffin before the cremation?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

04-02-2018, 02:38 PM

When I mentioned this to our daughter, she said there are notices up in the crems in her area of jurisdiction, warning people about what can and can't be put in the coffins.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top