Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2011, 08:27 AM

Time to cool down

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12606943

I do not have a programmer for my central heating system, I find them a complete waste of money.
My central heating system is run from a single thermostat in the hall-way, coldest place in the house which means the rest of the house is warmer,and is switched on to 15°C on the 1st November and turned back down to 8 degrees on the 30th April.

I find that the house is as warm as a toaster sometimes but nice and comfortable most of the time.

Programmers heat the house up and then switch off leaving it to cool down so that it can switch on to warm it up again. Like boiling a kettle of water to let it go cold so that you can boil it again.

By leaving the heating on low all of the time the walls start to warm up and retain the heat so that the thermostat works the heating efficiently.
If it feels chilly in the morning after the cold temperatures of the night, we put another jumper on and remove it when the day gets warmer.

What do you keep your house temperature at and should we all try to live at lower temperatures?
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Re: Time to cool down

I leave mine at 60 F because I am self-insulated.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2011, 11:06 AM

We tend to keep the heating on all day in the coldest months. Fifteen degrees is about right for us and we turn it right down when we go to bed. Like AB we have a thermostat in the coldest part of the house which we adjust as and when necessary, so some rooms will be warmer than this. We have insulated about as much as we can which helps a lot. Only the hot water is on during the warmer months - no central heating until late Autumn when it gets cold.
I think it is possible, and perhaps healthier, to live at a slightly lower temperature than many of us do. If I feel cold when I am sitting relaxing, I have throws on the settees to snuggle into.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12606943

I do not have a programmer for my central heating system, I find them a complete waste of money.
My central heating system is run from a single thermostat in the hall-way, coldest place in the house which means the rest of the house is warmer,and is switched on to 15°C on the 1st November and turned back down to 8 degrees on the 30th April.

I find that the house is as warm as a toaster sometimes but nice and comfortable most of the time.

Programmers heat the house up and then switch off leaving it to cool down so that it can switch on to warm it up again. Like boiling a kettle of water to let it go cold so that you can boil it again.

By leaving the heating on low all of the time the walls start to warm up and retain the heat so that the thermostat works the heating efficiently.
If it feels chilly in the morning after the cold temperatures of the night, we put another jumper on and remove it when the day gets warmer.

What do you keep your house temperature at and should we all try to live at lower temperatures?
So how do you control your hot water??????
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
So how do you control your hot water??????
Through the boiler thermostat!!!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2011, 12:49 AM

I have my thermostat set at 70 degrees F all the time. When it turns cold in Autumn, the boiler cuts on as needed; stays on practically thru the whole Winter, than gradually turns off as it warms up in the Spring. I feel the cold a lot, more so as I've gotten older.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

04-03-2011, 08:00 AM

We all feel the cold more as we get older Eileen, it is due to the blood circulation slowing down. I bet you hands and feet get coldest first.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2011, 10:00 PM

LOL, oh definitely, AB, but also my nose!
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2013, 04:57 AM

I am from USA, can someone please tell me what a boiler is?
My central heat/air is electric from a heat pump. I keep the temperature around 72 in the winter. But, if it is really cold outside, I bump it up to 74.
My water heater runs off electricity too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2013, 08:09 AM

It's that threatening device you yanks have in the basement, like in "Hone Alone", only, as usual, ours are smaller than yours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top