Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 06:08 PM

Me too ????

I can't find the thread which said have we gone too far with the me too movement
But this is much too far even the Victorian didn't do this

http://uk.businessinsider.com/manche...18-2?r=US&IR=T
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 09:00 PM

Re: Me too ????

The account I read said that the removal was prompted by the Me Too movement and it was designed to get the public's opinion.
Post-it notes are to be left in the gap where the picture hung.

The report suggested that the painting could be put back later, depending on the public response.

Usual knee jerk reaction to an interesting happening!
I imagine most of the public who can be arsed to comment will do so in no uncertain terms...
I do hope so!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 11:06 PM

The world is going to hell in a hand cart!

What is next? Are the pc police going to go round all the churches and cover up all the images of Mary nursing Jesus?

What about Jesus - I remember scary pictures of him with his heart on display - will those still be allowed?
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 11:36 PM

Yes this has definitely gone too far, pathetic rubbish.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 11:56 PM

Deep breaths everyone!!

Victorian nymphs painting back on display after censorship row -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42917974

A gallery is to put a Victorian painting of naked adolescent girls back on display after a row over censorship.
Manchester Art Gallery said it took down Hylas and the Nymphs by JW Waterhouse to "encourage debate" about how such images should be displayed.
But critics accused curators of being puritanical and politically correct. The painting will return on Saturday.
"It's been clear that many people feel very strongly about the issues raised," Manchester City Council said.

The 1896 painting was removed a week ago in an attempt to rethink the "very old-fashioned" way images of women's bodies were exhibited as "either as passive beautiful objects or femmes fatales".

Visitors were invited to write their views about the decision on sticky notes and post them in the vacant space.

But after a backlash, the city council, which runs the gallery, announced that the painting would return to the wall.

The gallery's interim director Amanda Wallace said: "We were hoping the experiment would stimulate discussion, and it's fair to say we've had that in spades - and not just from local people but from art-lovers around the world.
Throughout the painting's seven day absence, it's been clear that many people feel very strongly about the issues raised, and we now plan to harness this strength of feeling for some further debate on these wider issues."
The gallery is now planning a series of public events "to encourage further debate".
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 12:20 AM

Muddy, It is absolutely ridiculous! Nothing surprises me any more!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

03-02-2018, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Muddy, It is absolutely ridiculous! Nothing surprises me any more!
Art, did you read the update and the reasons they did what they did?
They got an ear bashing from the public!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top