Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 06:14 AM

The Police and Speeding.

Hi

The Chief Constable of my local force, West Mercia, is the national advisor on Traffic.

He has proposed that even if you are 1 mph over the speed limit, you get a penalty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-speeding.html

This is the same man who has decreed that burglaries should not be routinely investigated.

There is a reason for the current 10% exemption and that is the accuracy of car speedos, they are not accurate to within 1 mph.

The man is a complete prat, chasing ordinary law abiding citizens and letting scoats go free.

The Police operate by consent, they need the vast majority of ordinary law abiding people to support them.

He is just going to alienate people and make policing more difficult.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 07:24 AM

Re: The Police and Speeding.

Thanks for the heads up.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

He has proposed that even if you are 1 mph over the speed limit, you get a penalty.

There is a reason for the current 10% exemption and that is the accuracy of car speedos, they are not accurate to within 1 mph.

The man is a complete prat, chasing ordinary law abiding citizens and letting scoats go free.

The Police operate by consent, they need the vast majority of ordinary law abiding people to support them.

He is just going to alienate people and make policing more difficult.
Hang on, if they are exceeding the speed limit by 1% then they are not law abiding citizens.

But you are correct speedos are not accurate to 1% BUT they always read high (unless the vehicle was built before this rule came in) I think you will find that it is in the EU vehicle design rules. So if you are speeding then your speedo will tell you that you are way over the speed limit. I always go by my sat nav.

The speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h.
This design rule in Australia came in in 2006 but I think you can be sure it was much earlier in Europe.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Hang on, if they are exceeding the speed limit by 1% then they are not law abiding citizens.

But you are correct speedos are not accurate to 1% BUT they always read high (unless the vehicle was built before this rule came in) I think you will find that it is in the EU vehicle design rules. So if you are speeding then your speedo will tell you that you are way over the speed limit. I always go by my sat nav.

This design rule in Australia came in in 2006 but I think you can be sure it was much earlier in Europe.

Hi

I have to disagree Bruce.

There is a wide discrepancy in speedos here in the UK., it is an accuracy of 10%, plus or minus.

To get to an accorancy of 1 mph would add £3,000 to the cost of a car.

Even our works cars, as Enforcement Officers, are allowed that discrepancy.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 08:25 AM

The police by and large have lost the respect and confidence of the public .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have to disagree Bruce.

There is a wide discrepancy in speedos here in the UK., it is an accuracy of 10%, plus or minus.

To get to an accorancy of 1 mph would add £3,000 to the cost of a car.

Even our works cars, as Enforcement Officers, are allowed that discrepancy.
That is not the case your speedo accuracy is not + or - 10% the indicated speed must always be lower than the true speed. I couldn't believe that we were ahead of the UK on this so I checked:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...Dspeed%20lower

There's this bit in Section 19 of the UK design rules

1. The vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer capable of indicating speed in mph at all speeds up the maximum design speed of the vehicle.

2. For all true speeds up to the maximum design speed of the vehicle, the true speed shall not exceed the indicated speed.

3. For all true speeds of between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the maximum design speed if lower), the difference between the indicated speed and the true speed shall not exceed—
V / 10 + 6.25mph

where
V = the true speed of the vehicle in mph.

Despite the use of the archaic speed measurement this legislation says basically the same as ours except yours is even less stringent so when your indicated speed is 70mph your actual speed could be as low as approximately 58mph.

(70 - 6.25) - (70-6.25)/11

So as I say if you are exceeding the speed limit then your speedo will be indicating well over the speed limit.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 08:58 AM

When were all in Driverless Cars next year, it wont be our problem.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
When were all in Driverless Cars next year, it wont be our problem.
They will still find some way to get us.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Police office to car driver he had stopped " Sir, do you know this is a one way street"?

Motorist " Yes I was only going one way "
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 11:09 AM

We have a lot of those signs that light up and flash 30 or 20 if you are going too fast. I thought they were all turned off but apparently I drive too slow to wake them up, so I'd suggest it's perfectly possible to keep within limits. The only thing I would say some areas in the country they need to clean and make good the speed limit signs as some places it's not easy to find out what speed you are supposed to be doing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top