Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 03:52 PM

How long have you been married?

I can't believe it will be our golden wedding next year, where have the years gone?

We met in 1965 when I was 15 and he was nearly 18. His sister-in-law's family had been friendly with those of my English mother, and they had kept in touch. He came over to my home island of Guernsey when his much older brother, a teacher, brought a school party, and he was invited to join them. I was introduced and instructed to be nice to him by my father! I still don't know why we jelled, possibly I was fascinated by his high intelligence, and he with my life style, which was very different to his own in the UK. Neither of us had had a boyfriend or girlfriend before we met. When I was 13 I remember people laughing when I pronounced I never wanted a boyfriend and I was never getting married.

We married four years later in 1969. We produced three birth daughters by the time I was 26. Later on we adopted two boys with special educational needs and fostered a third. (we consulted our girls before doing that, they were happy for us to go ahead.) My husband joined the teaching profession and rose through the ranks quite quickly becoming a head teacher. Academia is his greatest love and he acquired three more degrees, including a doctorate, after our marriage. I was quite happy to run the home and rear the children. After he took early retirement, he become a university lecturer, OFSTED inspector, exam board reviser and education consultant. Sadly all that was taken away from him when his aneurysm burst in 2006 and trashed the left side of his brain. He has worked tirelessly to put back as much as he can but it is impossible to regain all that he has lost. This frustrates him a lot. I am now his 'carer', not that he thinks he needs one; it is very rare he will listen to my advice especially about his health, he always reckons he knows best! This drives me crackers and we have many frank discussions, with me telling him he can join his brother, who has dementia, in his care home.

I will carry on caring for my husband as long as I feel able, but I have a life too, and if he gets any worse he will definitely have to go into a home. At least I know I have done my best, he would have put me in a home from the word go as he was always useless if I was ill, getting the kids to look after me as soon as they were old enough.

Fortunately for me I have had my hobbies to keep occupied over the years, as my husband and I have nothing in common apart from our children and grandchildren. But it has worked for us.

Anyway enough about me, how long have other posters been married?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 04:02 PM

Re: How long have you been married?

We have been married 45 years ..... and 3 days

Doesn’t time fly!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 04:03 PM

Actually married, 30 years.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 04:54 PM

I wish I could be looking forward to a Golden Wedding Anniversary with my lovely present (and last) Wife T.
I had 2 previous marriages of 12 years each, with my present marriage being 21 years. The only one I can reasonably look forward to will be our Silver Wedding Anniversary, with every other year being a bonus!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:05 PM

Sorry to hear about your husband, Tarantula. You are doing a marvellous job caring for him and making him as comfortable as possible.

- - - - - - - -

This August will mark our 20th anniversary together. Amazing how time flies.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:15 PM

That's very sad Tarantula about your Husband.

We have been married for 35 years.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:21 PM

If l had still been married, l would have been married for 47 years this year!

I think l did well to do 30 of them!!

Sorry, Tara. I forgot to say, Congratulations to you both.
I can’t wait to receive my invite to your party!
Jude
Germany
Jude is female  Jude has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:25 PM

In 18 days time we will be celebrating our Golden Wedding.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:30 PM

Congratulations to you and your husband Tarantula, it’s good when things work out and couples stay together through thick and thin, and lets be honest about it it’s not always easy. It’s a credit to you to be taking good care of him all this time.
We married young too, she was 20 and I was 19, I still say she took advantage of my youth.
We were married 52 years ago in August 1965, the next year our daughter was born then two years later our son and that was the lot.
We are complete opposites in most things and we are very happy to this day, and yes we would do it all again.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:35 PM

It's so lovely to read of some of You who have had long happy marriages..unfortunately I can't say the same ,as I divorced My first Husband after 7 years,then My second Husband died after just 8 years of marriage..I envy You all believe Me.xx

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top