Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 07:11 PM

Home Remedies for Stain Removal

Hi, just thought I would let you know about an old-fashioned stain removal method I've used successfully to remove Ribena spilled on my light coloured Rug. My SIL laughed when I asked what she thought the best thing was to remove it. "Do what I do everytime, she said, I don't know what is in them, but BABYWIPES bring the stain out every single time"

She also told me that if you spill curry on your clothes, shake TALCULM POWDER onto the stain as soon as you can, wait for the powder to soak up the stain and it comes to the surface, it will then make it much easier to wash away the stain.

Also, she told me BODY LOTION and a soft cloth will remove most stains from walls and doors.

Do you have any surprising stain removal remedies that are not shop bought? I used to have a book on 1000 home remedies for stain removal, but it seems to have disappeared to that bookstore in the sky over the years.

I think I will now make a list online of all the stain removal tips that people come up with, using items that I would never think would work for anything other than what it was intended for.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 07:22 PM

Re: Home Remedies for Stain Removal

Here is one that works SG. I clean my black glass hob (and a few other things too) with a little white vinegar and water. It cleans it beautifully, doesn´t leave smear marks, I just dry it off with kitchen paper. I just use an old spray bottle to keep the water and vinegar in.

I´ve tried virtually all the commercial hob cleaners in the past, none of them were half as good as the white vinegar and water.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 07:26 PM

Spray furniture polish to remove the glue left from sticky labels.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Brilliant Clumsy and Mups, Thank you, two very handy tips for my list. Clumsy, I have a black glass hob as well so that is a really handy tip. Mups, great tip as well, I hate it when I have to soak new crockery etc to remove labels on crockery that seem to have been superglued on sometimes. Grateful to you both.

I think I will have to put my lists into categories.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Brilliant Clumsy and Mups, Thank you, two very handy tips for my list. Clumsy, I have a black double hob so that is a really handy tip. Mups, great tip as well, I hate it when I have to soak new crockery etc to remove labels on crockery that seem to have been superglued on sometimes. Grateful to you both.

I think I will have to put my lists into categories.
I should have said I wipe the hob down first with warm soapy water, but truly the white vinegar and water really doesn't leave any smears. I just buy the white vinegar for cleaning, don't know about over there but here it's 19 cents for a large bottle.

I like the furniture polish tip too, getting those sticky labels off some things is a nightmare.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-01-2018, 08:06 PM

Thanks Clumsy, washing it with soapy water first is no hardship. Its the constant polishing of smears that niggles me. I think it is sparkling and then look at it from another angle and see neverending smears. So I am definitely putting white vinegar on my shopping list,
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 08:15 PM

Do any of you have a tip for cleaning my windows in the south facing conservatory . Whatever I use the windows still look smeary especially when the sun shines . I'd love sparkling smear free windows in there .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 08:16 PM

Shaving foam (from a pressurised can) can be used to get rid of grease stains on carpets. Spray directly onto the stain, leave for a few minutes then wipe with a clean damp cloth.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Do any of you have a tip for cleaning my windows in the south facing conservatory . Whatever I use the windows still look smeary especially when the sun shines . I'd love sparkling smear free windows in there .
Clean with plain warm water into which some vinegar has been added then polish with newspaper.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-01-2018, 08:18 PM

Hi Susan, I seem to recall someone telling me to use vinegar and warm water to wash windows with rolled up newspaper, then wipe them dry with more newspaper and dry them with newspaper, Supposed to bring them up sparkling and smear free.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top