Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 02:36 PM

Where have all the phone boxes gone?

I'm not even sure I can remember where they used to be but do remember that they were fairly ubiquitous.

And do you remember families who didn't have a landline (because they were expensive) back in the days when the Post Office had a monopoly on them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 02:40 PM

Re: Where have all the phone boxes gone?

They sold a lot of the old red ones off I see them in back gardens quite often. Usually used as a small green house by looks of them.

The more modern ones seem to be disappearing though.

We still have one at end of our road useful for the teenagers to cram into if it's raining. I haven't seen anyone make a call in years though.

Think the real demise was when they stopped taking cash. You had to remember to buy a card to use them.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 02:42 PM

Yes, I remember the more modern ones; they were open on one side I recall.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 02:44 PM

It is the same here in Canada, our phone booths have all disappeared. Can't find a pay phone if you need one....

Eventually we will all need a cell phone for sure. I think the cells are too expensive...but it seems even the "street people" have one, so I guess I better check into it soon.

I also notice that you can't find a mail box to mail a letter. You have to find a post office to mail it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 02:45 PM

We still have a red phone box in our village, it is minus glass and a phone but still there. There have been various suggestion as to its new use, I think the Parish Council favours a defibrillator being installed there as has happened in other places.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

27-01-2018, 02:46 PM

We still have post boxes here.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
We still have post boxes here.
Ffosse, I notice you have very interesting posts.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

27-01-2018, 03:00 PM

Why, thank you. Random thoughts enter into my head and sometimes I'll make a thread about them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 03:40 PM

I was going to say there's one of those modern ones nearby to me but thinking about it, I think it too has disappeared. I will have to look next time I'm out.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 03:52 PM

I have noticed that some telephone boxes left in towns, are used as urinals!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top