Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:28 PM

The Great Explosion of 2018

I was sitting at home this evening (Saturday) reading while I baby sat the sleeping Grandkids when there was this almighty explosion.

My initial reaction was that it was a bird electrocuting itself on the power lines outside so I went outside to check. Of course it wasn't if for no other reason than it was dark.

Checked round the outside of the house but could see no damage it was only when I returned inside I smelt a familiar smell. Went into the Laundry and it was obvious what had happened. The place was absolutely covered in shards of glass.

In February 2016 I made some non alcoholic Ginger Beer for one of my Grandsons but he didn't like it so it just sat in the laundry maturing.

Thank goodness no one was in there when one detonated causing another to explode as well. I released the pressure in the remaining bottle and was it high!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	180127 004 The Great Ginger Beer Explosion.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	5006   Click image for larger version

Name:	180127 009 The Great Ginger Beer Explosion.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	5007   Click image for larger version

Name:	180127 010 The Great Ginger Beer Explosion.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	5008   Click image for larger version

Name:	180127 015 The Great Ginger Beer Explosion.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	5009  
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:29 PM

Re: The Great Explosion of 2018

Now thats fizzy POP
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:36 PM

That reminded me of the time when we were a family. We would make homemade wine and the demijohns of elderberry were in the airing cupboard fermenting. One evening there was a loud noise, a demijohn had exploded and all of our bed linen, towels etc., were a beautiful shade of dark red....
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:38 PM

My brother used to make ginger beer when we were children and we once had a similar explosion.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:45 PM

Thank goodness no one was hurt.
I remember as a teenager making larger, we hid in my friends Nan's airing cupboard, wrapped in an eiderdown. The same thing happened!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Thank goodness no one was hurt.
I remember as a teenager making larger, we hid in my friends Nan's airing cupboard, wrapped in an eiderdown. The same thing happened!
Airing cupboards are far too warm for fermenting liquids. I used to make gallons and gallons of wine, some from kits, but mainly from fresh ingredients, Elderflower, Elderberry, apples, Damsons, Blackberries Dandelions, Nettles, Brown Rice amongst many others. I also used to make Sloe Gin, Blackberry Gin and Damson Gin too.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Airing cupboards are far too warm for fermenting liquids. I used to make gallons and gallons of wine, some from kits, but mainly from fresh ingredients, Elderflower, Elderberry, apples, Damsons, Blackberries Dandelions, Nettles, Brown Rice amongst many others. I also used to make Sloe Gin, Blackberry Gin and Damson Gin too.
We were kids, we had no idea.
I have made wine. I still have all the stuff in my loft.
GIN!!!!! Do tell.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 02:08 PM

My daughter makes wonderful Sloe Gin and also Cassis.
I once tapped a Birch tree to make birch sap wine. I have made elderberry, blackberry, and potato - by golly that was potent..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
We were kids, we had no idea.
I have made wine. I still have all the stuff in my loft.
GIN!!!!! Do tell.:-D

Simple enough Sweetie darlin' - easier than fermenting wine. All you need is a large enough Kilner jar with a tight lid.

Whichever ingredients you choose - enough to 1/4 fill the jar. Pour on a whole bag of plain white granulated sugar and as much of the cheapest bottle of GGin you can find. Fill up the jar to within 1/8th inch from the top so there is little room for fermentation. With the handle of a WOODEN spoon, insert down to bottom of jar and gently stir all the ingredients. (This will need to be repeated at frequent intervals over next few days to ensure all the sugar has dissolved in the Gin). store away in a cool, dark cupboard and leave for approx 3 months, at which point it should be ready to drink. Blackberries picked in Aug/September and soaked in the gin till Xmas will be perfect as a Liqueuer on Xmas Day.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

27-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
My daughter makes wonderful Sloe Gin and also Cassis.
I once tapped a Birch tree to make birch sap wine. I have made elderberry, blackberry, and potato - by golly that was potent..
WOW!
Would you start a thread on how to do this - please
I suppose a different section.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top