Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Death Cleaning

This is a new way of decluttering.
Give your stuff away before you go.
My grandma did this she left nothing .
My father also left his stuff in apple pie order
I must admit I favoured the traditional way ( just die and leave it to the children to do ) but now I have decided to work on it all a bit .

http://time.com/4985533/death-cleaning-declutter/
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Re: Death Cleaning

As i have no one to pass stuff on too , im in progress of slowly stripping away the decades of stuff ive gathered about me, bin or charity or passed on too mates who can get some use out of things like old tech etc.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:07 PM

I'm doing the same Nom, slowly working through each room and getting shot of stuff that's not used or loved.

I've held on to stuff for too long and no one will want it when I'm gone. I've my mum living with me and I'm dreading the time when I have to sort hers out. When step dad died and I helped I was quite brutal I have to admit. Might seem uncaring but it wasn't meant to be, just practical. As I said none of its any use to us, why hold on JIC
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:13 PM

Hi

Flog it and give the money to the kids now.

The bits I am keeping, some porcelain and a few pictures, I have left detailed instructions on in my will to keep them out of the hands of a house clearance outfit.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:18 PM

I am trying to declutter too but l’m not ruthless enough!

If l think l might buy another kitchen item, l talk myself out of it. I have enough junk here!

I used to always be buying new towels and bed linen. I have stopped that, as l have enough for another lifetime!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:29 PM

I live with the very minimal of requirements having got rid of the majority of my belongings. I have Just enough stuff to cater for one, or two if my daughter visits. I have been thinking of getting myself a new armchair (recliner) but if and when I do, then I will dump the two chairs from my small suite.
All books/china/momentos have gone, either to charity or the tip. I think it should take my children half a day to finish clearing the place. I have absolutely nothing that either of them would want as keepsakes.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:37 PM

I've probably got more clothes than I'll ever need like 10 pairs of jeans and around 10 t-shirts.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
As i have no one to pass stuff on too , im in progress of slowly stripping away the decades of stuff ive gathered about me, bin or charity or passed on too mates who can get some use out of things like old tech etc.

Good idea Nom

I have done some this morning .( one small case)
Cleared out old papers and sorted labelled them for my sons to look through and see if they want them .
I saved every letter they ever wrote to me when they were at school
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Yes I'm slowly clearing away stuff , I give to the charity shops though recently sold a painting dad gave me and sold an old ring the kids didn't want . I just don't want to leave them a lot of hastle , they don't live near me so it would be difficult for him to have to clear it out .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 04:52 PM

Decluttered years ago,nothing uneccesary left . Funeral plan fully paid up too .
I think times are changing when parents saved everything, I had neighbours who had a garage stuffed full of dustbin bags full of stuff that might come in handy , all for their long suffering daughter to get rid of when they both died .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top