Join for free
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:27 AM

Plastic Bottles

Sorry, I can't find the previous topic on plastic waste.

Just had this sent to me through Facebook. They can't get enough in Durban, South Africa. Using them to make owl and bat houses plus thousands and thousands of natural , burglar proof beehives ! Don't ask how because I don't know, but I thought it is an interesting concept and wondered if the UK could do something similar.
Could we and would we need so many ?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Owl Rescue Centre
Plastic bottles, we need all of them. If its made from plastic and looks anything like these samples, we can use them. We were initially looking for around 200 tons for the year, that has now gone up to 600 tons.
We have hundreds of schools and companies already collecting, we need hundreds more.
If your company would like to be a drop off point, please leave a comment, it is a great way to meet thousands of new clients. If you are collecting already and need the closest drop off point then please follow our posts, we will update them every other day.
This is such an exciting project for us and we have received unbelievable support, lets all save our oceans!

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 09:09 PM

Re: Plastic Bottles

I won't buy anything in plastic bottles - but this does look like a good scheme for recycling them, Puddle Duck. I hope some of our councils take notice !
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 09:22 PM

“We are busy building a machine that chops plastic bottles up into little pieces which then get melted and put through a hydraulic press,” said the rescue centre.
https://rosebankkillarneygazette.co....elp-save-owls/

Great idea. I hope they can make it work.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 10:04 PM

What a great idea this is. I must post it on a Canadian forum I know, if you don't mind. It sure is worth looking into.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 01:01 AM

Of course, wild blueberry. it is for sharing.

Whether they need more bee hives for the Elephant and Bees project in Africa could be the reason they will be making so many.

Elephant and Bees project is placing bee hives on the perimeter of villages in an attempt to stop the elephants encroaching into the villages. Elephants don't like bees, and although a new idea,it seem to be working well, both in Africa and India. Plus, the villages will get their own honey.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 01:07 AM

We have a lot of hives in the area west of me.
Thanks Puddle.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 02:09 AM

Lovely idea, except there is barely anything to put in those bottles right now:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1F51DC

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top