Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2011, 07:32 PM

Are you being wasted

I have lots of technical expertise in various trades and friends and neighbours, even the local school keep coming for advice or help so I dont feel like my talents are being wasted.

I have a friend who is a joiner by trade, ran his own business and since he retired he has only used his talents on a couple of occasions.

Since you retired (if you are) do you feel that any talents that you have are being wasted?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Re: Are you being wasted

As my wife is eight years older than me I retired early by choice to do things with her before the time was lost to us. In the first year or so of retirement I turned down requests for consultancy work for that reason and the requests petered out after that, and to be honest since I retired I haven't really felt that I wanted to go back to using my lifetime's knowledge, I've put enough years in. Having said that, if any of my grandkids or family needed to know anything that I knew, then I would be happy to spend the time with them. Other than that I don't feel that I owe the world anything else.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2011, 09:04 PM

Although (compulsory) retired from paid employment for some years, I was a founder member of a (voluntary) Law Centre and still continue to provide representation at Tribunals even to this day, notwitstanding the local Council forced the closure of the Law Centre more than 15 years ago.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2011, 11:28 PM

Since I retired I still keep my hand in, so to speak, I give at least two teaching sessions per year on the traditional way to make handmade jewellery. I am also available to make special one off pieces for very good friends and family members only. I also do some repair work for neighbours who can't get it done in town, or it is too expensive for them to have done, the only thing I charge for is the materials.
So the answer is no, my time is not wasted, except when I feel too lazy to do anything at all.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2011, 01:12 AM

Yup im totally wasted in this world lol For what i'm unsure but there must be something
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2011, 10:39 AM

No. Over-used if anything.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Since you retired (if you are) do you feel that any talents that you have are being wasted?
Well I spend at least six months of the year in mainland Europe so would have a problem passing on any knowledge because of the language. Plus in Czechland people never ask for advice - they think they know it all anyway

I work over the internet now, when I need to, and that keeps my mind active and only leaves time for my hobbies.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
No. Over-used if anything.

I know how you feel!!
I took early retirement in July 2007 - ostensibly to look after my disabled wife. In February 2007 we had started a Breed Specific Rescue for Siberian Huskies which is now a national organisation with some 100 volunteers. So, far having a "wasted" retirement, we never seem to stop and since I retired, I don't even get weekends off!!!!!!
I'm even more busy at the moment as my wife had a serious knee operation three weeks ago and is still unable to walk more than a few steps.
I dream of a "wasted" retirement.................. (actually I don't - I've never been happier!

Mick
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Mick my friend, I know how your wife feels - have had BOTH knees replaced with metal implants - whilst a lot easier now, I still have some pain and my knees are good barometers to forecast cold and/or wet weather.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2011, 03:27 PM

I feel I have a fair amount of knowledge in photography and computers. I've been working at these got a very long time. I also have a lot of experience as a teacher. Mybproblem comes from my government controlling education so tightly that I'm not permitted because I don't have a degree. Shoot, I was a computer guru before they invented degrees in personal computing. I had to learn it all the hard way.

I also would love to teach photography & Photoshop graphics software. Again, I'm self taught with no degree. I must admit I feel my talents and passions are wasted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top