Join for free
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2011, 04:45 PM

Earthquakes

The earthquake in New Zealand was only one of 234 earthquakes in the last week.

OK, New Zealand was the largest one and my thoughts and prayers are with those who have suffered but a lot of lives have been changed forever not only in New Zealand but all around the Pacific ocean from Chile to Califonia to Alaska to Russia to Japan to the Philipines to Australia.

All over the world there are eathquakes happening every day, around 4000 a year.

If you knew that the area where you live was prone to larger earthquakes would you stay in the area or find somewhere else to live?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Re: Earthquakes

The only thing I want shaking Inside my home is the cocktail shaker (hic!!!).
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2011, 07:39 PM

I would not live in a place knowing the ground could open up and swallow me when I least expect it, but people have no real choice I suppose. Take San Francisco for instance, I hear there is another big one due there in a few years time, God help them all if it does come off.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2011, 07:49 PM

It's amazing that we all still seem to think that whatever it is, it won't happen to us, hence the propensity to live in totally unsuitable places, from right on a fault line, to the slopes of a volcano, to a muddy hill in a rain forest. And when the worst does happen we just rebuild on the same spot!

And we ridicule lemmings for their apparent death wish!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2011, 10:45 PM

It's frightening when you think how many earthquake have occurred over the last couple of days although some of them have been very minor.

I would hate to live in a country or area that was prone to earthquakes.

This live earthquake map shows the situation at the moment and the 'quakes that have happened in the last two days...

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2011, 01:10 AM

As far as the earth swallowing me up I'd remind Mother Nature not to bite off more than she can chew. LOL
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia
Troopie is female  Troopie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 02:56 AM

Six monthes ago we had a minor quake in the Adelaide hills where I live. It was only 3.5 but I heard the rumble coming. I was sitting on the couch and it sounded like a heavy truck coming from a distance. It got closer and louder as it approached. It felt and sounded like it was coming right under our house, so much so that as it passed I found myself watching the floor as if I could see it. As it went under us I stood on the couch waiting for it to pass. I have concluded from this, had it been a gapping hole that was being formed, I would be in it along with my couch! If they were a regular occurance, I would move. I have proven to myself that I am usless in an emergency!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 01:12 PM

That must have been a frightening experience for you, Troopie

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top