Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:32 PM

UK v. Russia?

I have been reading in the news how our armed forces are being compared to those of Russia in a hope to increase their numbers and finances.

I do, however, agree that our forces have been cut to the bone recently, and need to be restored to reasonable levels.

However, on what grounds are they suggesting that our forces should compare favourably to those of Russia?

During the 'cold war' the whole of NATO could not match the Russians, at least in numbers. Now, for some reason, they are arguing that ours, the British, alone should match them!
That will not happen, whatever they claim or hope for.

We should not be worried about the Russians anyway for two reasons: I cannot see them having any interest in invading this country; and, of course, there is the much vaunted EU Army between them and us!

Defence spending figures are not an indication of the strength of our armed forces either, however high they may appear, not when we have a vast army of pen pushers in the MoD and we have more admirals than warships!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:35 PM

Re: UK v. Russia?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have been reading in the news how our armed forces are being compared to those of Russia in a hope to increase their numbers and finances.

I do, however, agree that our forces have been cut to the bone recently, and need to be restored to reasonable levels.

However, on what grounds are they suggesting that our forces should compare favourably to those of Russia?

During the 'cold war' the whole of NATO could not match the Russians, at least in numbers. Now, for some reason, they are arguing that ours, the British, alone should match them!

We should not be worried about the Russians anyway for two reasons: I cannot see them having any interest in invading this country; and, of course, there is the much vaunted EU Army between them and us!

Defence spending figures are not an indication of the strength of our armed forces either, however high they may appear, not when we have a vast army of pen pushers in the MoD and we have more admirals than warships!

Better start learning to speak and write in Russian, if Spetznaz come here in numbers, they'd walk right over our military.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:37 PM

I'm never really sure why we are so afraid of Russia on the occasions we've been at war they seem to be on our side. But we treat them badly at every turn.

If there is ever a target for them it should be eu as they are ones poking them each time I look.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:49 PM

Hi

Those NATO Countries not paying in the agreed sums should cough up their share, in particular Germany.

The UK will be collateral damage in any conflict simple because of the number of US Bases here and our own electronic surveillance expertise.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Better start learning to speak and write in Russian, if Spetznaz come here in numbers, they'd walk right over our military.
What on earth do you think Russia finds interesting about this country? Would you want it?

And, as Julia says, Russia is our friend! Certainly, they have been doing more than either us or the US about ISIS.

If we think back to the Cold War, there was so much concern about Russia charging across and conquering the whole of Western Europe. Did they? No. Some say because of our nuclear deterrent. Perhaps. I have a different theory.

Ever since the Nazis go almost as far as Moscow - and remember that Napoleon did something similar - the Russians, quite rightly, have been concerned about the security of their homeland.

Since 1945, they controlled all of East Europe, but I don't believe that was purely expansionism for its own sake. I believe they did that in order to have buffer states as a protection of their own country, and I would have done the same. Their threats came from the West: they knew that from history, and I can well understand their need to protect themselves.

No, I don't think we need worry about Russia.

Our real enemy is within our own country, right now. They are the only ones who have been attacking us.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Well, it is said that the Pen, is mightier than the Sword
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
True, and I wish they'd write a friendly letter to ISIS asking them to be nice.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
By those who have never met machine gun fire
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 04:44 PM

They can send over the Russian women they are georgous. I didn't know which way to look when we were there

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
A SPENT NAZforce now UJ..
Due to the economic conditions in the former USSR, They now moonlight as bodyguards, debt collectors, organized crime hitmen and the most heavily armed bouncers in civilization (apart from bouncers at clubs near Hereford).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top