Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:42 AM

Dont .wait, time to clean.

Did you know? Bird Protection Law only permits the cleaning out of nests (and nest boxes) between 1 September and 31 January. Time to get the job done!
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:57 AM

Re: Dont .wait, time to clean.

I always clean ours out when the Tom Tits have fledged,its always used as a roost in winter even though empty.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:00 PM

We have cold winters here in Canada, the birds do make use of the houses during the cold winter months. Several pile into each house.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:25 PM

Never occured to me to clean a nest out I assumed they did it themselves.

Can you advise what we are supposed to be doing, we have blue tits use same nest each year we'd have to get a long ladder to reach it. Also got a little owl I'm not keen on interfering with him he's a bit feisty if you go near the tree even so going up it I think would really upset him.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:30 PM

Some advice from the BTO.

home » about-birds » nnbw » FAQs about nest boxes
FAQs about nest boxes

See below some of the questions we get asked about nest boxes. If you need more help nnbw@bto.org
How high should my nest box be?

The ideal height for a small-hole type nest box is between 1m and 5m above the ground with a clear flight path. Care must be given to make sure the box isn’t easily accessible to predators.
Can I put my nest box on the side of my house?

Yes, a nest box with a 32mm entrance hole fixed on the wall of a house could well be used by House Sparrows. For Starlings try a box with a 45mm entrance hole.
How big should the nest box hole be?

Bird

Nest box hole size

Blue Tit

25mm

Great Tit

28mm

Tree Sparrow

28mm

House Sparrow

32mm
Can I look inside my nest box?

Yes, provided you approach quietly and carefully, it is perfectly safe to look into a nest box from time to time to see how things are progressing once the birds are incubating their eggs. Most birds will sit very tight on their nest if you just peek in, though an early morning visit may find the bird off her nest in search of a quick meal before nest duties call her back. This is a good time to count the number of eggs in the nest and to record this information as part of Nest Box Challenge.
Should I clean out the nest box?

When the breeding season is over, old nests can be removed and the box cleaned out. Bird Protection Law permits the cleaning out of nests between 1 September and 31 January. Any dead eggs must be destroyed promptly and cannot be kept or sold.

Some hole-nesting species, including sparrows, may have second or third broods in the same nest. The nests of these species should be left until sometime during the autumn when it is certain that they are no longer in use.

When cleaning out nest boxes it is advisable to wear surgical gloves and a dust mask. Old nests may harbour fungi growing on damp nest material, which can cause respiratory diseases. Nests can also house a variety of parasites such as fleas, lice and ticks. It is best, therefore, when removing the old nest to put this straight into a plastic bag and seal it before disposal.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Ah ours is higher when we put it up about 1990 it was reachable with a short ladder but I don't feel happy sending anyone up as high as it is now. The oak tree took it out of our reach lucky really as it is now above where the cats get to.

The owl is a bit lower but his bad temper will keep us away.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

19-01-2018, 12:38 PM

Lucky you Julie to have a Little Owl using a box, but i would spa wide of those claws and bill.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-01-2018, 12:43 PM

It wasn't actually put there for him we were hoping for more tits but he took up residence and no one wanted to upset him. We are lucky here in a town that we have have bats too nesting in the woods next to the flats. I'm not sure how many it feels like just one or two but I'm told it's more. They saved the woods when developers wanted to level it for offices.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 01:16 PM

I'm excited! I bought a new one, I gave my old one to the old chap nextdoor because his box fell down and broke, he had bluetits in it every year.
I can't wait to see if this year they'll come back and bring their friends to mine!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 04:02 PM

What about budgies?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top