Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 11:55 AM

Strangers stroking your dog?

Do you allow anyone, everytime (who would want to) to stroke your dog(s)?

Rainbow x
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Re: Strangers stroking your dog?

I have always encouraged adults and children to pet my dogs. They are big and bouncy but well trained and love the attention. I have no worries about how they will react and it all helps to foster good relationships between dogs and people.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 04:29 PM

My dog is, without doubt, the epitomy of calm and gentleness and he adores children (although he couldn't eat a whole one )
If we meet people on our walks who take an interest in him I always allow them contact, and like Aerolor, positively encourage children to pet him. Quite often we see people pick their children up off the ground when they see us approach, possibly because they fear dogs themselves, and I do think it's a shame when people pass on their own fears to their children.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Never.........
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Murphy and Bobby absolutely loved children and they and I were happy for strangers and kiddies to stroke them. One thing I have instilled in my grandchildren is to never stroke a strange dog without asking me and the owners first. Most of the time it's just fine but some dogs object and best to be on the safe side.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Never.........
Why not Cassie?
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 09:13 PM

With Cassie on this, I certainly don't either!

Rainbow
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Dont read this as rude to those that do but I teach my 3 to mind their own business and not go bothering other dogs, people or other animals. They get spoilt rotten by me but are mine same as my kids and I dont let people fuss them either lol I need to be on top of what the dogs are doing and able to control them.. therefore I dont allow it. Its just a personal thing and not cos I think those that do are wrong.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 10:09 PM

Even though I used to let others stroke my dogs I can see where you are coming from Cassie. They are your dogs, you're the boss, their carer, their everything ......... I often used to meet other owners with the same viewpoint and totally respected that
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 10:29 PM

If someone wants to stroke Hatti that's fine, but I always ask them to tell her to sit and then stroke her from the side, she's not happy when someone puts their hand over her head.....an issue she had when I brought her home from rescue. She loves people, especially children, and is always happy when someone gives her a stroke.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top