Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 10:38 AM

It takes a French woman!

Catherine Deneuve defends men's 'right to hit on' women -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42630108

I loathe the expression 'to hit on...' but I do think she has a point.

It was always going to happen; the pendulum inevitably swings too far and then come the checks and balances.

So here they come...

What tickles me is that it takes French women to lead the way!

What does the open letter say?

The letter by French women writers, performers and academics was published in France's Le Monde newspaper on Tuesday.

"Men have been punished summarily, forced out of their jobs when all they did was touch someone's knee or try to steal a kiss," it said.

"Rape is a crime, but trying to seduce someone, even persistently or clumsily, is not - and nor is men being gentlemanly a chauvinist attack."

The authors argued that there was a new "puritanism" afoot in the world.
They said that while it was legitimate and necessary to speak out against the abuse of power by some men, the constant denunciations have spiralled out of control.

According to the writers, this is creating a public mood in which women are seen as powerless, as perpetual victims.

"As women we do not recognise ourselves in this feminism, which beyond denouncing the abuse of power, takes on a hatred of men and of sexuality.

."Ms Deneuve, 74, has recently spoken openly against social media campaigns, which, she says, shame men accused of harassing women.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Re: It takes a French woman!

Something has shocked me about it all when men who make a clumsy pass are now equated with pedophiles, women actually seeing themselves as victims exactly like a raped child. It's all gone crazy IMO

i have seen at work all flirting has stopped its a bit sad I'm over 50 old enough to be their mums but several of the young men were happy to joke and flirt. No one least of all me took it seriously it usually ended with me saying they'd get a shock if I did say yes, no harm to anyone. That isn't allowed any more it seems the younger women were uncomfortable felt I was being disrespected, I really wish they'd let me decide for myself because if I wanted to shut them down and a couple of times I did I could do it with ease just few words and they knew they'd gone too far.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 12:32 PM

Aye,You're right Ruthio..swings and roundabouts..Perhaps We could start a flirting thread on here to make all of Our Boys feel loved? .. .It would also give the Men a chance to get some grievances off Their chests..so come on Lads..don't be shy.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 01:22 PM

Well done Ruthio, for posting this.
I hate the current trend for Witch Hunts.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 01:41 PM

I really do feel sorry for young men who are just starting out chatting up and flirting with women. They almost need a written agreement to proceed.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 01:46 PM

Hi

If I come across an attractive lady, in my age group, no wedding or engagement ring, what on earth is wrong with a bit of flirting?

My age group starts at 50 by the way.

If she shows any interest at all, it would progress to asking her for a coffee or a meal.

There is no way that I would grab her boobs etc.

I find that sort of thing offensive.

It is a woman's body to give, not a man's to take.

If an initial request for a coffee is turned down, that is absolutely fine by me.

If it leads on to to other things, that is great, but that has to be her decision, not mine.

I find it absolutely wrong for a man to use his position to pressure a lady.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If I come across an attractive lady, in my age group, no wedding or engagement ring, what on earth is wrong with a bit of flirting?

My age group starts at 50 by the way.

If she shows any interest at all, it would progress to asking her for a coffee or a meal.

There is no way that I would grab her boobs etc.

I find that sort of thing offensive.

It is a woman's body to give, not a man's to take.

If an initial request for a coffee is turned down, that is absolutely fine by me.

If it leads on to to other things, that is great, but that has to be her decision, not mine.

I find it absolutely wrong for a man to use his position to pressure a lady.
Of course and I reckon the majority of men follow the rules. Trying to work out if a woman will take things further is all part of the fun. Most of us can work out if it's a possibility or not. The problem is that for years women have not stood up to the predators and bullies.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Of course and I reckon the majority of men follow the rules. Trying to work out if a woman will take things further is all part of the fun. Most of us can work out if it's a possibility or not. The problem is that for years women have not stood up to the predators and bullies.
I agree LD! there is little point in them reporting it years,or even months, later.
Women should tell the men, at the time, that it is not acceptable. If they don't, then surely it is telling the man that it is ok to continue!
Where the lady says no, and the man forces his actions in her, that is sexual assault and should be reported to the police asap.
In many cases the ladies say nothing, because they think there may be a lucrative job on offer... or some other benefit. In those cases surely the ladies actions are bordering on prostitution!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 02:23 PM

It’s the innocent men being accused and driven to suicide, that distresses me..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It’s the innocent men being accused and driven to suicide, that distresses me..
Hi

Art,I have met you and one other lady on here.

Both you and her are well out my league, intelligent, articulate and very good looking.

I would hope that I have treated you both properly and have never been perceived as offensive or pushy.

I value you both as friends.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top