Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 11:31 PM

Warning about Vodka

I haven't had any Vodka for about 40 years, but for those who do indulge, there is a warning in todays paper about Bootleg Vodka.

I'll quote it for you, better than me trying to explain:

Vodka containing antifreeze or chemicals used in glue and nail varnish remover has been found.
The industrial chemical Acetaldehyde, which causes cancer, was also detected.
Northumberland County council found industrial alcohol passed off as Smirnoff and Glens Vodka.

And £24,000 of illicit booze was found in Birmingham after raids on 18 premises this month.

Simon Blackburn, of the Local Government Association, said:
"New Year's Eve is the biggest social
night of the year but people shouldn't let their guard down."

So watch out any Smirnoff lovers.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 11:44 PM

Re: Warning about Vodka

I drink Smirnoff vodka but I would never buy any on the cheap.

Thanks for the warning though Mups.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 11:48 PM

Yes, I read that.
Also the dodgy cheap cigarettes.
I am sticking with wine.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 01:57 AM

Smirnoff has always tasted like nail varnish remover to me so I'd probably not notice!

The only spirit I usually drink is brandy and that's only if I can't sleep or have had a shock. But this Christmas I have really enjoyed a little Amaretto. I bought it ages ago for a Tiramisu recipe which I finally made on boxing day, but then I discovered it's really yummy in a latte and just as nice as a liqueur. Luckily too sickly to overindulge.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:15 AM

Think I'll stick to my cup of tea, I'll pass on the warning though as I know a few vodka drinkers might benefit from it so thank you for the warning.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 01:55 PM

I think the key to this scare story is the term "Bootleg Vodka".

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top