Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:55 PM

New Year.

After the Christmas /Boxing day traditions, do folks celebrate the New Year and New Years Eve,m in any special way

Over the years mine has changed quite a bit. In my parents time an open house was the norm, folks dropped in for a bite and some pop , Also First Foot was quite important, the First Foot had to wait until the New Year was in before knocking and was expected to be tall dark and carrying a piece of coal for luck.

When i moved to nearer the city non of these rural traditions were followed most seemed to head for the pub.

It used to be an important part of my year recording birds, so New Years Eve was celebrated with only a token glass of falling down water, as dawn saw me off hurtling round the Northumbrian countryside and coast in an effort to see as many species as i could, the goal was 100 but never achieved.

This year probably a few drinks and bed even if i dont see in the New Year, and if weather and health allow a trip down the lake to record the winter birds as part of my health regime.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 01:00 PM

Re: New Year.

Mine will be spent trying to stop Elsie dog having a heart attack over the fireworks. I don't know how Jenny is with them she wasn't happy when some went off Christmas Day apparently, so if we have two scared to death I'm not going to be a happy bunny at all.

Used to love new year years ago prior to fireworks becoming the norm.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 01:38 PM

We are staying in this year.
I think we have done enough prior to and over Christmas.
We will watch Jules then switch channels for the countdown.
Whatever anyone is doing, I wish them all the best.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 01:54 PM

I haven't seen in the new year for donkey's years, I tried to stay awake once or twice but never seemed to manage it so don't even bother trying now, although it doesn't seem to stop it arriving as it is still Jan 1st when I wake up...
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 02:11 PM

I do not celebrate New Year and will be in my bed. It was very different when we lived in Scotland, then we had open house, one year we had over forty visitors come First Footing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 02:13 PM

T too, will be staying in.
I love every bit of N.Y.Eve, always have done.
I shall be watching it on the telly.

I love seeing the past year's events on the telly, the build up and anticipation, until Big Ben Chimes. I just love to hear those chimes.
Then all of a sudden everything erupts. Everyone is hugging and kissing, and so happy and joyful as they join arms and sing Auld Lang Syne as the fireworks start.

I get quite emotional. I wish people could link with each other and be that happy more often. Just wish there was someone here to give a kiss to as I always feel it's lucky and starts the New Year happy.
As it is, each of my pooches is scooped up and given a kiss on the bonce instead. It makes them smile.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 02:26 PM

We will be staying in, little ChoCho is absolutely terrified of fireworks and here you can't see a patch of sky for them. The organised displays all along the coast, every bar and restaurant having their own display, it's a fantastic sight but one which causes such fear and trauma to ChoCho. It always worries me too about other animals, farm animals, cats, stray dogs and cats etc. Some are so frightened they just run and run, into the canals, onto roads, some die. The thought really does upset me.

We have two friends coming to spend New Year's Eve with us, we'll watch the fireworks in relays, one person always being with ChoCho, or at least keeping an eye on where she goes to hide. Poor little mite goes from one place to another, bathrooms, under beds, anywhere she can get, which is why we have to watch where she goes, she tries to get into some very odd places.

After the main fireworks at midnight, there's always others who carry on until 4 or 5 in the morning. These people I would like to know, I would then quite happily shove their fireworks in their various orifices.

We then have another "Christmas" the following week when the Spanish celebrate their Christmas. We were very surprised on Christmas day night this year when our lovely bin men worked as usual and came to empty the bins. Perhaps they do so every year, but I can't think I've seen them coming to empty the bins on Christmas day before, I must have been busy elsewhere.

Happy new year to you all, I hope it's a healthy and happy one for you.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Over the years we have celebrated with Families, but not any more, we will be staying in and will be going to bed before midnight, and the next morning I will phone a couple of people up and wish them a Happy New Year.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Happy New Year everyone, and to all those north of the border - happy Hogmonay.

I am no longer capable of staying up so late, so will be tucked up in bed and asleep. What I am looking forward to is January 25th (Burns Night) when I can eat Haggis, Neeps & Tatties!!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 03:21 PM

Hi

Never celebrated it, no intention of starting now.

Christmas is my thing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top