Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 09:44 AM

Junior Oxford Dictionary

Don't children do Nature Study anymore ?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	4820  
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 10:03 AM

Re: Junior Oxford Dictionary

Sad so sad, iin fact a bloody disgrace. Down the years ive been lucky .to find
a few. youngsters interested in nature, passed on as much as i could in knowledge and encouragement. Some o,f these have long ago surpassed me and they are now involved with making a living from wildlife.

The outmoors for me was a playground, and university in as much as i had fun and learning rolled into one.

It stood me in good stead, even in a city i find nature everywhere i look.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 10:26 AM

They have a limit to how many words they can use and are changing with the times. Nothing stopping parents using whatever words they chose when they teach their kids. I don't know many use this book these days anyway most look things up on line.

Religious words were removed from various dictionaries a while ago can't remember any fuss over that it's the same thing now just needing to be more relevant to kids.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 11:14 AM

This happened a few years ago now.
It's pretty sad that modern words have kicked out some of the most beautiful things this world has to offer.

There's an article in Snopes that gives the reasoning for the cuts for both the religious and the nature words.
Looking for it ....

And here it is:
https://www.snopes.com/oxford-junior-dictionary-words/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 11:16 AM

That's very sad

I am happy to say my 3 older grandchildren aged 6 and 7x2 would know all the omitted words being country children who go for lots of walks .
They are also fortunate in attending a school which has 'Forest School' once a week where whatever the weather they explore the countryside in addition to getting very muddy
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 11:47 AM

We may be townies Meg but we get out into the countryside as often as possible, my lot are at this very moment walking the dogs over on frensham common, had a text saying they'd seen a deer and the ducks are all hungry. You can teach kids about nature without this book that IMO has been failing for years. Kids learn diffently these days.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 11:51 AM

No worries, you can always "3D" print an Acorn.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
This happened a few years ago now.
It's pretty sad that modern words have kicked out some of the most beautiful things this world has to offer.

There's an article in Snopes that gives the reasoning for the cuts for both the religious and the nature words.
Looking for it ....

And here it is:
https://www.snopes.com/oxford-junior-dictionary-words/
Thanks for that link,to see Kingfisher replaced by the likes of bloc graph saddens me. We are all part of nature, but we are not all part of religion, our environment, affects us all paying it no heed or understanding can lead quickly to our demise.

If or children can learn about the effect we have on our planet, then perhaps they can leave it in a better state than we are doing.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 05:07 PM

That is so sad to hear both my grandchildren love nature in all forms and always enjoy looking at my old nature book from when I was about 6 or 7.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top