Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 03:16 PM

Passing on stories to your children.

I went for a meal yesterday to meet my daughters partners mum and grandfather.
I was a little apprehensive as I didn't want to do or say anything to embarrass my daughter but I think it went well, I really enjoyed it anyway.
There was 5 of us there including my ex wife and the younger brother of my daughters boyfriend.

The grandfather was so interesting telling us about his early life, how he got the jobs he had done and how he had met his wife, who had recently died. He asked how my wife and I met and married and about our working lives.
He also asked about my mother and father so I related a family story about my own father as a young child on a refugee train trying to escape the German army when Belgium was being invaded.

During the conversation I noticed the youngsters laughing about the grandfather reminiscing, and said, you may laugh at us now but there will come a time when you will tell your children these stories adding your own stories as well.

Do you pass onto your children/grandchildren your life stories or even more importantly your parents and grandparents stories to keep these important memories alive.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 05:48 PM

Re: Passing on stories to your children.

Yes MC I have always passed on events from my younger life to the grandkids, sometimes they are astonished and can’t believe how we managed to get by back then.
I think it’s important to tell them if they ask you but never keep on about it all the time as some old lads do, “Now when I was your age we hadn’t got…blah blah blah”, that kind of thing makes them lose interest in recent history.
The only true way they will know about those times is by hearing it “From the horses mouth” as they say, the authorities and the media twist things to suit suit themselves, indeed I have seen things happen here in the 1950’s that have been wrongly published as true local history.
So my answer is a definite yes, by all means pass the stories on to them.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I went for a meal yesterday to meet my daughters partners mum and grandfather.
I was a little apprehensive as I didn't want to do or say anything to embarrass my daughter but I think it went well, I really enjoyed it anyway.
There was 5 of us there including my ex wife and the younger brother of my daughters boyfriend.

The grandfather was so interesting telling us about his early life, how he got the jobs he had done and how he had met his wife, who had recently died. He asked how my wife and I met and married and about our working lives.
He also asked about my mother and father so I related a family story about my own father as a young child on a refugee train trying to escape the German army when Belgium was being invaded.

During the conversation I noticed the youngsters laughing about the grandfather reminiscing, and said, you may laugh at us now but there will come a time when you will tell your children these stories adding your own stories as well.

Do you pass onto your children/grandchildren your life stories or even more importantly your parents and grandparents stories to keep these important memories alive.
When my daughter was at primary school they covered the history of the war years. For homework, they were asked to see if any family members could talk to them about their experiences, so they could write about it in their own words.

So we asked her grandad if he'd mind going through something with her (he never really liked to talk to us about his war years).
He had his POW letters he sent to his mum and dad and the original telegram informing them of when he was shot down. He related a couple of stories to her, which she wrote about. Not sure she understood too much, but she has retained what he told her and there's plenty of documents/photos we have boxed up which will come her way when she sorts out the house upon my demise.

Regarding myself - when I try to impart any of my life stories onto her I can see her eyes begin to glaze over so I shut up
Joking apart, I feel a little sad really, I'd love for her to know the path's that I took and the experiences I had. She doesn't really know anything about me. But hey ho
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 10:46 PM

My grandchildren love to hear old family stories , when I stop they say 'Tell me some more Nanna'

I used to love my Father's stories all about his growing up and my Nanna's time in service.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2017, 11:39 PM

Great idea MC, I have kept a journal for most of my adult days & am into family history. My descendants regard me as the family archivist.
I take every opportunity to share my collection of family memories & events.

ALSO, I write notes on the reverse of pics to identify content
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 12:45 AM

I've got a lovely written record of my Dad's RAF days when he was sent to India. His descriptions are brilliant. He also frequently wrote how much he missed being away my Mum too.
It's all in Dad's beautiful looped handwriting, in a child's exercise book.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 01:06 AM

My grandchildren are glued to their devices .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 10:58 AM

Absolutely we have stories about several generations on my side but sadly nothing at all from my husbands side. All kids are interested so it's a bit sad when my husband doesn't have any to tell.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 12:36 PM

The grandfather I mentioned in my op did say he had written a lot of his memories down
One of the questions he'd asked after telling us how he met and married his wife, was how my wife and I met.
My ex explained how we met and I explained how we got married. At the end of the story my daughter smiled and told me she hadn't known how her mum and I got married.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top