Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 06:18 PM

Can Mothers Spend Too Much Time Amusing Babies?

My daughter seems to spend so much time amusing/entertaining her (now) 7 month old baby that she seems permanently in an exhausted, frazzled state. As if she has made a rod for her own back. Regularly having trouble at nights to get the baby to sleep for a decent length of time only adds to the problem.

It all seems so high maintenance and "labour intensive" even when not going to two different "stimulation classes" a week, baby yoga and now (would you believe) swimming lessons.

Surely the baby is being conditioned to requiring constant "entertaining". I'm well aware of the need for a level of stimulation and such, and saddened by so many sad looking unattended babies you see when out on the bus or in waiting rooms, with the mothers seemingly ignoring them.

But this seems too much. We don't remember having this trouble with ours.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Re: Can Mothers Spend Too Much Time Amusing Babies?

Depends on the baby some are placid some are hyper and need entertaining .
I had two hyper and one placid .
None slept the night until well past a year old
Hyper babies don't need stimulation sedation more like
I was always exhausted with my children but in retrospect it passes so quickly
Perhaps you could have baby for an hour or two while she catches up on her rest ?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 06:26 PM

Well, you do with your first one!
When you get to your fifth, like l did. The others bring them up!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 07:49 PM

Gravitas, Thinking about it, the mother’s I see these days, whack a mobile phone in front of their kid to watch at its lesuire in its push chair!

At least your daughter is giving her child quality time!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 08:06 PM

Can Mothers Spend Too Much Time Amusing Babies
No you can't spend too much time doing things with your babies , you only get one chance and babyhood is over all to quickly.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Gravitas, Thinking about it, the mother’s I see these days, whack a mobile phone in front of their kid to watch at its lesuire in its push chair!

At least your daughter is giving her child quality time!!
The worry is creating a high maintenance "entertainment demanding" baby. And running the mother into the ground.

There should be a middle route. Taking the pace down. Chillin' out more.

We didn't have much trouble at all with our two. But in those days people weren't so child obsessed. All those classes etc.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 08:53 PM

I agree with you, Gravitas. As a first time gran, I have become aware of the many "opportunities" available for babies nowadays and the subsequent pressure on new mums to make sure their child is not deprived of these. By all means try some out but there is no better quality time spent than that with a relaxed parent at home.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2017, 11:40 AM

I have several family members with young children and I would say they all over stimulate their children. Too much tech and not enough of the simple things in life.
Gravitas
North England

25-12-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have several family members with young children and I would say they all over stimulate their children. Too much tech and not enough of the simple things in life.
As she's only 7 months old the tech concerns haven't arrived yet. They hardly ever (apparently) have the telly on.

Too busy with the baby I'm told. Claims mum doesn't even know what is happening with the news (not that she was ever that up to date). Has asked her husband to let her know if something major happens.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
As she's only 7 months old the tech concerns haven't arrived yet. They hardly ever (apparently) have the telly on.

Too busy with the baby I'm told. Claims mum doesn't even know what is happening with the news (not that she was ever that up to date). Has asked her husband to let her know if something major happens.
Markle had her pigs in blankets with the royals. Is that major?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top