Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 09:34 PM

The Party's Over

What an afternoon and evening, Mr Clumsy's birthday party really went with a swing. First Guests arrived singing Christmas carols, within half an hour of their arrival all the rest arrived, I stopped counting after 25. A mixed bunch, English, German, Swedish, Finnish, Filipino, Norwegian, Chinese, Polish and also an American couple.

It was noisy, I've never seen so much food disappear so fast, but it was a lot of fun. Not everyone could speak English, so those that could were translating for others, some who had never met before got along famously. One German lady who hadn't spoken to another couple of Germans for around 2 years, and I wasn't at all sure she would come because of this, did come, and it really broke the ice between them. Suddenly the falling out a couple of years ago was a thing of the past and there were some tears and a lot of hugging. Mission accomplished.

I think everyone had a lovely time, Mr Clumsy has enough whisky and other bottles with strange labels to last him to his next birthday (if I hide them that is).

All have gone home now, everywhere cleared up, no sign of party. It was good, but I wouldn't want to do it every week. I'm shattered but tomorrow afternoon we have to go to another party, fortunately this time we are guests, I don't have to do the preparing and clearing up.

I mustn't forget ChoCho, who also did her part re the entertainment, she gave everyone a display of what to do with a yellow, fluffy, grunting banana
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 10:21 PM

Re: The Party's Over

How wonderful! It sounds like you made a great day of it, managed some successful diplomacy, and provided plenty of food and fun.

I hope the cleanup is easy and you can put your feet up...for about ten minutes before Christmas begins...

How are you going to top it next year?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 10:44 PM

That sounds quite a Birthday party, Loretta ..... glad you had a great time
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 10:46 PM

I guess my invite didn't make it in time!
You would've had a Canadian/Kiwi in the mix

It sounds like it was the party of the year!
Glad Cho-Cho enjoyed it too - in her own way!

Enjoy being a guest tomorrow!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 10:50 PM

Thanks Surfermom. The clearing up didn't take long at all, disposable plates, cups etc, all in a bin liner, virtually no washing up. Not enough food left to worry about, and believe me, there was a lot, but practically everything went.

I was really pleased that Silvia, Klaus and Vicky, put their differences aside and were talking and hugging each other again. They were good friends for a long time, until the "falling out". I could understand the reason for the "falling out", but that isn't a matter for discussion here. I'm just happy that Silvia did come, I really didn't think she would, but she did and it went much better than I hoped.

I like living amongst so many different nationalities, it makes life interesting and I always find that if you are friendly towards people, mostly they are friendly to you too. We don't all speak each others language but it's not so difficult to understand each other using some, often very funny means, but we get there one way or another. Our oldest guest was an 84 year old German lady, who lives across the road from us. Gusta has had many operations on her back and legs and really struggles to walk, but she was determined she was coming. We have quite a lot of steps up to the house, but down 4 men and brought her up safely, and when she was ready to leave the men ensured she got down again safely and across the road to her house. Gusta is such a lovely lady, she is such fun and such a pleasure to talk to, with a few mistranslations. We were really happy that she came. We would quite happily have run back and forth across the road to take food and drink to her, but she wanted to be with everyone and she had a great time with all the men fussing over her.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

23-12-2017, 10:55 PM

Thanks Mags and LMB, you would all have been welcome, we are pretty much "open house". A real age mixture too, I think the oldest was Gusta, a German neighbour, at 84 and the youngest Pixie, 6, the granddaughter of friends who have a holiday home here and the whole family have come over for a month. Pixie spent most of the time playing with ChoCho, who was more than happy to have a playmate.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 11:42 PM

I'm shattered but tomorrow afternoon we have to go to another party, fortunately this time we are guests, I don't have to do the preparing and clearing up.
What a hectic time you are having Loretta
Sounds like you all had a good party .
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

24-12-2017, 12:07 AM

Thanks Meg. It's always a bit hectic at this time of year, but I've done my bit now. I'm not having everyone here for Christmas dinner this year, just us and two friends. I've enjoyed doing it for the past years but this year I just didn't want to, so taking a break and having a quieter Christmas day.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 05:55 AM

Christmas sounds like it's going to last for more than a few days for you with enero seis coming up.

How nice that people of differing languages and cultures can all get together.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 09:48 AM

A lovely story and a very successful party hosted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top