Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Sat Nav

Have you got a sat-nav?
How do you get on with it?

We first encountered it a long while ago - at least 7 years since it wasn't at this house. It was built in to a company car. It was rubbish and on my husbands first trip out with it sent him up a country lane which ended in a field. That car went back early and we haven't bothered with it since. OH is a good map reader and knows his roads well, so we've been fine.

Anyway, we've finally succumbed (another company-provided toy) and have had Gobby Gabby Garmin for the last few months and look her to France with us earlier this year.

She's OK but she can't speak French! How we laughed at her pronounciation (when we weren't cross because we couldn't understand which way she was trying to send us). However, on the whole, we like her. We often ignore her and take local short-cuts etc. I'm sure there's a note of disappointment in her voice as she says "R'calkulatin"
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Re: Sat Nav

I also have a Garmin, I find it does funny routes at times, if you don't obey it often adds half an hour on the journey time (as a punishment ) but when you carry on your route it knocks it off again

I tend to use my own routes and just rely on it when I am approaching my destination. I am very impressed when we go to Blackpool champ show though it directs you into the field it is held in!

It doesn't recognise where I live, and delivery drivers can't find us now. When they didn't have sat nav they were OK!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 01:59 PM

We had one in Houston....she used to drive us mad...it does not update itself, so some roads we were on were not even on it.so we get getting "R'calkulatin, tell you what she is lucky I did not throw her out of the window....My truck has one built in, its very sensible, and has quite a nice voice too...
Lou
UK
Lou is female  Lou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 03:10 PM

We've had 2 now Can't fault the Tom Tom.......I bought one 4 years ago, it's never got us lost or anything, then this year I upgraded to a newer/slimmer version
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 03:28 PM

I too had one in-built into my Lexus some 5 years ago now - it was a bit of a status symbol then and Lexus tend to throw every extra possible into the car. It was fun for a bit as a novelty but actually I would always take a map and a via michelin read out as back up. It was useful when we drove to Austria as it got us right up the mountain to our resort but less so when we drove to Hayling Island and out onto the bridge to the island and it lost the road!! But since the Lexus went back I haven't bothered and to be honest I don't miss it and won't be buying a stand-alone one.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 03:55 PM

My dad's got one in his car and has for a few cars back I think, and he finds it a real help.

I think they're great for the UK, not sure what they're like when driving abroad tho (bit hit n miss going by what you guys are saying!) so I would definitely recommend one for getting about here
cathy
essex
cathy is female  cathy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 08:54 PM

charlie says i need a sat nav to get around the bungalow. and we only have 4 rooms and a hallway
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by cathy ->
charlie says i need a sat nav to get around the bungalow. and we only have 4 rooms and a hallway
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Haven't got a sat nav-dont have a need for one really as I don't travel far. The furthest I go is to my brother's in Derbyshire.
Anne
UK
Anne is female  Anne has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 10:46 PM

My sons calls my TomTom Anne, reckons we're related as we both constantly nag him where to go and what to do

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top