Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 12:54 PM

Dry cleaning

Mrs LDs had two coats dry cleaned this week I can't remember the last time either of us had something professionally cleaned. It was probably my tricorne hat 200 years ago.

So you can imagine our shock when the lady said 'That'll be £27.00.

I almost fell off my slingbacks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Re: Dry cleaning

Now you mention it Dongle, I too, can't remember when I last had anything dry cleaned. We lose touch with prices I suppose.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Now you mention it Dongle, I too, can't remember when I last had anything dry cleaned. We lost touch with prices I suppose.
Yes, that's right. I suppose if you compare the cost to two new coats, it's nothing but was still a shock though.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:27 PM

I had a pair of curtains dry cleaned this summer as they were too much for me to handle in a wash. They cost me £50, so they wont be cleaned again in the foreseeable future.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:58 PM

I very rarely buy things that have to D/C these days, just so expensive IMO.
Didn"t used to be.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Last time I had a coat cleaned it cost me £8. I thought that was steep then. Don't think I'd dare go to a Dry Cleaners now.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 03:20 PM

I am sure many moons ago, there were do it yourself dry cleaning machines in Launderettes.
Bring them back - I say!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 07:53 PM

My first wife Karen used to work in a dry cleaners when she left school and used to get lots of dry cleaning done for free. This was back in the seventies and she told me that many times all the girls had to dash outside and stand on the pavement when the dry cleaning machine was opened due to the terrible fumes filling the shop.
I didn't like her getting my clothes cleaned too often as they tended to have this horrible smell that lingered on them.
My mate Steve really upset her once by asking her if she was still working at the laundry. She said everyone would think she was scrubbing peoples undies in a big tub while wearing a scarf knotted on her head.
I didn't mind going to meet her from work though as all the girls, shop assistants and clothes pressers that worked there seemed to have a competition on of who wore the shortest skirt.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 07:59 PM

I've got one black sweater that is meant to be dry-cleaned only.

I hardly ever wear it and it's not been cleaned in 2 years since I bought it.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 08:05 PM

Aren't dry cleaning items weighed, and the cost depends on the weight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top