Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Lidl or Aldi For Your Weekly Shop?

Hi everyone, He who must obey is retiring on Friday. It will be nice because I don't drive and a respiratory health issue forbids him from letting me carry heavy shopping, so instead of the car being parked unused all day every day, I can from now on stroll around the supermarkets at my leisure and shove the shopping in the boot of the car. Lovely!

I have, for the past two years, had my shopping delivered from Tesco, Sainsbury and/or Iceland Foods. We are fortunate to have 2 Aldi superstores, 1 Lidl superstore and 2 Morrisons superstores here, so it will be nice for me to actually be able to go out and get my shopping at either Aldi or Lidl for half the price that I have been paying these last couple of years.

What I would like to know from others though is which shop is the best in your view? Out of curiosity, Do you prefer Lidl or Aldi?
Quite a few people have plonked for Aldi when I ask them as they say it is much cheaper. But... Lidl has more branded goods at cheaper prices. Quite a few that I know do their basic shop at Aldi (some saving up to £50 or £60 per week) after changing from shopping at places such as Sainsbury or Tesco.but top up with better-branded goods at Lidl as Aldi don't seem to stock branded goods. Yet I've heard that you cannot beat Aldi for their own branded laundry goods such as washing powder and softener. What a dilemma!

What is your preferred choice of the two if you shop at either? any tips for wonderful stuff you have bought there? Are their meats, fresh fruit and veg good? any tips would be appreciated.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Re: Lidl or Aldi For Your Weekly Shop?

Hi Mary,

I like Aldi best. We actually went there this morning at 8am to do our weekly shopping and for the two of us it came to £45.00.

In my opinion Aldi's meat is better then Lidl and I think Aldi has more choice, the vegetable are also good, but Lidl does have some branded names like Lurpak butter and is less then £3.00, where other super markets are £3.25.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 03:09 PM

I have both but prefer Lidl.
But I like the range of toiletries in Aldi.
I have never tried Aldi for meat, but I will and get back to you.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Thank you both for your comments. I am so fussy when it comes to fresh meat and fruit/vegetables. I usually get my meat from my local butcher but so many people have been telling me that Lidl and Aldi meats are really good quality English/Irish and so much cheaper than the butcher.
Besides, will have to watch the pennies a bit more now there will be no salary going into our bank account!

I wouldn't mind buying Butter if it is cheap enough. At the moment I have been stocking up with Clover from Tesco as it is half price £1 instead of £2 for 500g or £2 instead of £3.89 for 1kg. (I can't fit anything else in the fridge drawers they are so full of Clover.

I do remember once buying some German cooked Ham from Aldi's and it was so tasty. Like Ham should taste. but of course have never been back in since, so looking forward to seeking that product out again.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Lidl for me every time. I do all of my shopping there, only ever going to Tesco about once every couple of months. I like the quality and value of Lidl's goods and many of their own brand are far superior to the large supermarkets. When I go to Tesco I only buy a few things, doing the bulk of my shopping list on the way home at Lidl.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 03:33 PM

We don't have an Aldi, only a small Lidl, Their Bakery is great and their fruit n veg is fine, also the freezer stuff is good too. But I still have to go to other shops to complete my shopping as they don't stock everything we need..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-11-2017, 03:50 PM

Thanks Cee Cee and Roxy, well so far it looks like Lidl is ahead of Aldi for quality. I like the sound of Lidl bakery. I don't believe Aldi have a bakery, do they? I may well still pop into our local Iceland though as they stock Greggs sausage rolls and Steakbakes which he who must obey loves for a snack on Saturdays. They also do the part-baked rolls which are gorgeous when eaten just out of the oven - (bacon rolls on Sunday morning. nom nom.)

I may try Lidl first as it seems their quality is better than Adi's, but will give Aldi a go too, just to get that German Cooked Ham in a packet that I loved.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 03:55 PM

I think they are both good, but as LIDL nearer, that is the one go.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 03:58 PM

SG, Not for snobbish reasons but l wouldn’t do a big shop in either of them! I don’t think they are that cheap at all! I might occasionally buy a bag of red onions or 2 Au raisin from Lidl but there’s a funny smell in the shop, so l don’t stay in there for long!

I know most prices of what l buy and shop in these stores, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Asda, Tesco and Marks and Spencer’s.

Today, l went to Marks and Spencer’s for their ‘Two Dine In For £10 but l paid an extra £10 to get a bottle of champagne (normally £27) instead of the wine.
For the meal, I got 2 Sirloin steaks, 8 stuffed mushrooms and a tub of profiteroles.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2017, 04:01 PM

As it happens, I'm just off to Aldi, mainly for deli items. I normally shop for essentials at Home Bargains and luxury items at Booths. There is a new Lidl in town but I would have to drive to get to it so I haven't bothered yet. If I want to drive, then Morrisons, Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco are within reach but aren't worth the effort.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top