Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 10:39 PM

Supermarket cafe Christmas Lunch.

Last week I was in Morrison's cafe and noticed they have started serving Christmas Lunches. I didn't have one but today went to an ASDA superstore and before shopping felt hungry so went into the cafe. Ok it had gone 2 pm but they had very little left to offer so had the Christmas Lunch which consisted of. Two thin slices of turkey like you get from those sandwich packs, half a dozen over cooked sprouts that turned to mush in the mouth, 4 under cooked little roast potato's more like chips. Half dozen carrot slices and what at first I took to be a tiny overcooked new potato but turned out to be a stuffing ball all served in a plate size Yorkshire pudding that was soft in the middle due to the gravy and rock hard all round the edge. Plus a small plastic shot glass of this red syrup which was supposed to be cranberry sauce. It cost £5 but DONT BOTHER TRYING IT. It was tasteless and bland.
The lady who served me asked when i ordered it if I meant the Christmas lunch as pictured on the wall behind her. I didn't realise she meant it would taste like eating a cardboard photograph.
Yo Ho Ho Merry Christmas 😖
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 11:10 PM

Re: Supermarket cafe Christmas Lunch.

Sorry to hear about you experience Monday's Child, don't those pictures look good, if only the meals lived up to the expectations. I had my first Christmas dinner on Saturday at our local Garden Centre and it was delicious. It get's an 8/10 and so begins my quest of seeking out the best Christmas Dinner of 2017.....It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2017, 11:14 PM

Keep your money in your pocket MC
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 10:23 AM

Only time we've eaten in sainsburys cafe my husband took his plate back to the counter and asked for the picture on the wall as it was more likely to taste good than what he had on his plate. To be fair the lady behind the counter was apologetic but the food quality isn't her choice she just does her best with what she is given, she did warn us away from the fish though as she said even her cat won't touch it !
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 11:52 AM

Funny how they all differ though isn't it?

Sainsburys, couldn't pay me to eat in it, once was enough, think it was a breakfast, but whatever it was I remember not eating it

Had the best ever fish and chips in Asda though. Cooked to order and it was absolutely lovely, with a cup of tea, under a fiver. Not a huge plate but more then enough for a lunch
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 02:25 PM

MC, I am not in the least surprised with what you say about Asda's measly dinner.
Our local store's cafe is awful, and I won't even touch a coffee in there now, since they changed it all and went all 'American-ised.'

For one thing I detest the paper plates they use now. They are putting hot dinners on paper plates!
I had a jacket potato with beans a while back, and the sloppy bean juice was running everywhere and because the plate was so flimsy I couldn't carry it on just one hand and stop it bending about. Crazy.
The coffee is in cardboard cups, the plates are paper, and the tables were filthy.

The trouble is with all these cafe's who encourage us to take our own empties back and put on the trolleys, is that no body has to go out and clear the tables anymore, so the tables never get wiped.
I refuse to sit on a dirty table with other people's spilt drinks and sinister sticky bits all over it.

I find most places where you have to return your own empties have dirty tables too.
I complained at customer services on this occasion. The girl said she would write it in 'the book.'
I said No. I didn't want her writing it in a book they may never even get looked at, I wanted to speak to someone instead.

The manager didn't want to come down to meet me.
I was in a bad mood by their attitude by then, I felt strongly they just couldn't be bothered, so insisted the manager came to speak to a customer.

He did eventually, but you could tell before he opened his mouth he wasn't pleased with being dragged out of his office. Tough!

I explained about the ridiculous plates for hot food, the number of tables left with dirty plates and drinks stacked up on them which weren't being cleared, and the tables themselves swimming in spilt drinks, stuck on food and the shocking hygiene procedures for eating in.

He said he would investigate. I never heard again.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 05:33 PM

Oh dear MC, I must remember not to go there then, you had better warn Jazzi and Emjay then go to Morrisons for lunch.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Hi

No Supermarket Christmas Lunch for me.

We have a Community Cafe, which is also a Food Bank.

It is staffed by people with Learning Difficulties and Mental Health problems.

I will be there helping them cook the meal and donating one Turkey, which is free range.

I have managed to scrounge it for a good cause.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top