Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 02:35 PM

How much!!

Had an email from Eon yesterday, we’ve been with them for about 6 months for gas and electricity and they are increasing our monthly direct debits from £53 to £137! Friends have had theirs increased too but by a much lower amount. I guess this is how they work, start you off thinking you are saving money and then whack it up when they think they can get away with it.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 03:09 PM

Re: How much!!

If you have had your meter read recently it may be that you had a higher usage than they estimated.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 03:11 PM

I pay quarterly online and provide my own meter readings; they only send out a meter reader every 2 years or so.

They've been trying to sell me on smart meters but I don't want them.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Maybe contacting them and ask why. Smart meters are not a good idea, just give companies the information they need to charge more at peak times imo.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Had an email from Eon yesterday, we’ve been with them for about 6 months for gas and electricity and they are increasing our monthly direct debits from £53 to £137! Friends have had theirs increased too but by a much lower amount. I guess this is how they work, start you off thinking you are saving money and then whack it up when they think they can get away with it.
I agree with others: they can increase your DD to account for usage, but you can determine this by examining your account.

However, if you are on a fixed tariff, they certainly cannot increase the tariff before your agreed rate terminates and I believe that they are obliged to advise you before that is due to happen.

I would always go for a fixed tariff as otherwise there's no telling what they could do to take more money from you.

Examine your account. You should be able to see a record of meter readings and usage data.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 05:15 PM

The increases are worked out automatically by computer, we had ours lowered on many occasions when I've rung up and queried a rise. They can never when questioned work out what the computer was doing putting up the price like they did.

It's well worth working out the figure yourself and telling them what you are prepared to pay don't trust them to tell you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->

Val, I wouldn't stand for that.
Every time my lot have a direct debit review they try the same with me. They estimate what they think you will use over the next 12 months then charge accordingly.
Their estimation has never been anywhere near right once!

Last time they tried this, I was well in credit yet they still wanted to put my D/D up! I phoned them and had a right old go and said if YOU owe ME, how can you increase my payments! Cheeky buggers.

I worked my payments out myself by adding up the last 12 months bills plus a little extra for price increases, divided it by 12 months and told them that is what I was paying, like it or lump it.

They agreed my sums made sense, and I am still in good credit now, so their stooopid ideas were way over estimated.
Don't stand for it Val.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 05:47 PM

It is true that energy suppliers often over-estimate energy use, but at the end of the day they are obliged to repay any over-payment.

I recently left British Gas in favour of EDF (yes, I know, bloody Frogs!) because the latter were offering a more competitive tariff and British Gas were dragging their feet in offering something competitive. Incidentally, I made use of the Cheap Energy Club who deal with it all for you.

When the two parties had finally sorted themselves out, and both had accepted my final meter readings (for some reason it can take up to 28 days, and I've never understood why), I received a refund of about £360 from British Gas.

With interest rates being so low, I was not too bothered whether they or I had my money for a few months. Fortunately, we are not too short of money at the moment although, to be fair, I know that some people are and live almost hand to mouth. In such cases, people should keep a close eye on their accounts - suppliers are legally obliged to supply this information - and demand a refund if they find they are too much in credit.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I pay quarterly online and provide my own meter readings; they only send out a meter reader every 2 years or so.

They've been trying to sell me on smart meters but I don't want them.
Anyone with even a minimum education can read their own meter, and with a few more brain cells they can work out which appliances etc. are using the most power.

So what is the point of a 'smart' meter ?

Anyway we don't have any mobile phone signal in the house so I'm guessing it would not work here
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Anyone with even a minimum education can read their own meter, and with a few more brain cells they can work out which appliances etc. are using the most power.

So what is the point of a 'smart' meter ?

Anyway we don't have any mobile phone signal in the house so I'm guessing it would not work here

I refuse to let them take monthly DDs and do exactly as you suggest. I get an email to let me know the reading is due, I read, enter it on my account online, and it'll show up instantly what I owe. If I have the money available I'll make the payment through the account. Job done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top