Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Brain Cells Communicating....

What do you recall as your earliest Memory?

Rainbow x
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 11:30 PM

Re: Brain Cells Communicating....

When I was 5 yrs.of age (1950) my folks moved to Florida & stayed with friends in Jacksonville, Fl. for a couple of nights. I was bouncin' up & down on bed with my older sister & she landed on my legs. Next morning I couldn't move them.
Taken to doctor & he told my parents to take me to Variety children's hospital in coral Gables Fl. Which they did. They didn't want to move that far south. No choice. I had contracted Polio.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 11:52 PM

I was 3-4 yrs old and in hospital with pneumonia. I dropped my toy elephant down the loo and cried my eyes out for ages. I was too scared to tell anyone what I had done.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 11:59 PM

Oh dragon and Mags, such sad little memories for you both.

Mags, I should imagine the toy elephant was a comfort to you while in hospital too!!!

dragon, How scary for your family, hearing this news. Did you recover ok from the polio?

Rainbow x

PS. Mags, just given me an idea for a Thread .........
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 12:02 AM

Yes I did! But that experience will last all my life.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

04-02-2011, 12:08 AM

dragon, What a relief. Did you have to stay in hospital for long?

Rainbow x
dragon
florida, usa

04-02-2011, 12:13 AM

3 very long months! I was in isolation for 2 wks. & my mom had to look in window from outside of hospital walls to chat with me.
Hot packs, shots, seeing lung machines that other kids were in (I wasn't).
All of us in cribs, and each day found another child had died during night.
1950 was not a year I'll soon forget.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
When I was 5 yrs.of age (1950) my folks moved to Florida & stayed with friends in Jacksonville, Fl. for a couple of nights. I was bouncin' up & down on bed with my older sister & she landed on my legs. Next morning I couldn't move them.
Taken to doctor & he told my parents to take me to Variety children's hospital in coral Gables Fl. Which they did. They didn't want to move that far south. No choice. I had contracted Polio.
Dragon, I also contracted Polio when I was young-about 7/8 years old. Remember it well-it affected my right leg, making it about 2 inches shorter than my left-have walked lopsided all my life!

My earliest memory is starting school and those tiny toilets! Can remember keep asking to go to the toilet and then sitting there and crying and refusing to come out because I just wanted to go home!!
dragon
florida, usa

04-02-2011, 12:19 AM

My left side was affected but only a slight size difference to feet. Shows up mostly on my face- slight droop that has grown as I have gotten older.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

04-02-2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
3 very long months! I was in isolation for 2 wks. & my mom had to look in window from outside of hospital walls to chat with me.
Hot packs, shots, seeing lung machines that other kids were in (I wasn't).
All of us in cribs, and each day found another child had died during night.
1950 was not a year I'll soon forget.

Feel shocked to read this. Just so sad being so young and having to endure not only the medication treatment, but the isolation from those you love. As for those children dying each night ......

Coming home must have been such a wonderful experience
for you all.

Rainbow x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top