Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Preparing For Retirement - SSA

I'm going to locate my local Social Security Administration office today to begin my government's process to get benefits. I turn 62 May 10th which is the minimum age for early retirements. I've checked their benefits calculator and they tell me I'll receive $1,345 a month every month.

I had my first payment from my two retirement accounts yesterday which were a precursor of things to come. It was good to see my balance jump $535 for a change. The regular monthly payments are $265 and begin March 01, 2011.

So, doing the math, I'll have $1,610 a month to live on for the rest of my life. Mind you that I won't have any medical coverage until January of 2012 when I should become eligible for Veteran's Medical coverage, maybe. The maybe comes from all the money I've received from pension and IRA cash outs. If they consider that & social security as too much money I'll have to wait another year until I'm poor enough to qualify. It's sad, very sad indeed. Had I known they'd be screwing me out of benefits like this I would not have enlisted to fight their dirty war in Vietnam in 1969. The government changed eligibility requirements with the stroke of a pen in 2005. I guess it's up to me to just stay really really healthy.

At that time in May when my unemployment checks stop and Social Security starts I'll also give it a go at getting foods stamps from the government. I just used their calculator which said I should be elligible for $200 in food stamps a month which would sure help and would add to my $1,610 income to give me $1,810 a month. I can do this.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Re: Preparing For Retirement - SSA

Bob, don't forget COLAS in SS . They have been very small in the last few years, but every little bit helps.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Bob, don't forget COLAS in SS . They have been very small in the last few years, but every little bit helps.
It took a while but I also never forget to ask for senior discounts every time I spend money. If you don't ask, you won't get it.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 12:52 AM

Too true! You don't use public transportation, but that's a great saver here: senior bus fare is only 75 cents; free transfer from bus to bus within a 2 hour period, so I can get out, shop and be home for just 75 cents!
bobmielke
Portland, OR

03-02-2011, 02:28 AM

Too true! You don't use public transportation, but that's a great saver here: senior bus fare is only 75 cents; free transfer from bus to bus within a 2 hour period, so I can get out, shop and be home for just 75 cents!
I recently to my first mass transit train/bus trip to a store 20 miles away. My best friend took the trip with me just to show me the ropes of the system. It was fun, fast & cheap. It was pouring down rain at the time and we did it during rush hour traffic. How nice it was to kick back and safely be delivered to our destination.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Those of us living this side of the 'pond' who are either disabled or over 60 can apply for a 'bus pass' which entitles you to FREE local bus journeys throughout the country after 09.30am (in some areas its after 09.00)
bobmielke
Portland, OR

03-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Here old folks get mugged and beaten to death at train & bus stations. You must be careful if traveling alone.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top