Join for free
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Dogs in Fancy Attire?

Would like to ask what are your thoughts in dressing dogs up in fancy dress type attire?

Rainbow x
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Re: Dogs in Fancy Attire?

I don't like to see it. It is not necessary and in my opinion there is something rather sad and, dare I say it, even perverse in someone who derives amusement from seeing an animal dressed up for the entertainment value.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Hi Aerolor, Exactly my thoughts. To me it demeans a dog. He/she does not know the image being portrayed of him/herself. Therefore, they are being laughed at (even though the laughter is not unkind) it is still without the understanding and awareness of the dog.

It's the principle of the matter for me.

Rainbow x
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2011, 03:21 PM

I don't like it either tbh - imagine wearing 2 or 3 coats... that's how it would feel for a dog when you put a 'jacket' on him.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Dressing up an animal is not usually a wise thing to do, even with good intentions, but to dress one up purely for the amusement of others is terrible. Having said that, some mothers, particularly celebrities, even do it to their children, now that is criminal !
Nippy
South Devon
Nippy is female  Nippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2011, 07:54 PM

I don't like it either, even bandanas are unnecessary.
Pepsi does wear a coat if it is cold or wet but I consider this a necessity. She shivers like mad without.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Have never agreed with it. Dogs are not meant to be 'dressed up' to entertain others. Do agree with coats for those who need them, especially in the wet and cold.....
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2011, 04:14 PM

There are exceptions. My last GSP had arthritis of the spine so I had to keep his back warm in winter or he`d be in pain.
And a friends` Giant Schnauzer had to wear a bandanna so you could dry your hands after his enthusiastic (and slobbery) greeting.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

03-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
There are exceptions. My last GSP had arthritis of the spine so I had to keep his back warm in winter or he`d be in pain.
And a friends` Giant Schnauzer had to wear a bandanna so you could dry your hands after his enthusiastic (and slobbery) greeting.

I would agree that depending on the dog (breed, age or condition) plus the degree of the elements and the activity of the dog ..... extra warmth and cover could be appreciated.

Had to laugh at the Schnauzer. Much appreciated I am sure coming with his own slobber cloth

Rainbow

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top