Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Do you get tired of software updates?

Will you do a software update on your devices the minute it appears or do it later when more convenient?

iOs 11.1 is out which means I've got to (well, I could wait) update my phone, tablet and watch. I'm not sure why updates are so frequent unless they're fixing something that was broken or introducing new features, and I can't see anything that is new this time.

I've heard horror stories of failed Windows updates so am glad I don't have that problem.

Or do you bemoan the lack of updates on your devices?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Re: Do you get tired of software updates?

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Will you do a software update on your devices the minute it appears or do it later when more convenient?
I will never update any piece of software unless and until there is a clear reason or need to do so. Thus, as a matter of practice and discipline, the very first thing I do when first installing any software is to go into its settings/preferences and disable automatic updating.

This saves a lot of processing lag and bandwidth and ensures I stay in control rather than manufacturers being in control.

I have never updated my Windows, not once. I remain on Windows 7, a good stable OS. Those who didn't act as I do found that Microsoft sent down some nasty updates which then forced their PCs to go to Windows 10. More fool them.

I remain in control of my PC. W10 users do not.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I will never update any piece of software unless and until there is a clear reason or need to do so. Thus, as a matter of practice and discipline, the very first thing I do when first installing any software is to go into its settings/preferences and disable automatic updating.

This saves a lot of processing lag and bandwidth and ensures I stay in control rather than manufacturers being in control.

I have never updated my Windows, not once. I remain on Windows 7, a good stable OS. Those who didn't act as I do found that Microsoft sent down some nasty updates which then forced their PCs to go to Windows 10. More fool them.

That seems sensible to me - I don't use Windows these days but have heard of the problems of Windows 10.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 04:34 PM

I have just dumped my Windows 10 laptop in favour of a Macbook, I was sick to death with Windows, the constant updates and the lengthy processes one has to go through every step of the way. The laptop was only two years old, but enough is enough.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

01-11-2017, 05:03 PM

I've finished my Apple updates - the phone and iPad were quick but the watch took a little time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Although I do not have the good fortune to continue to use the superior W7, as my new laptop came with W10 pre-installed, I disabled Windows Update several weeks ago now and have consequently not suffered any nagging update messages. Neither have I encountered any problems.

Disabling WU was actually much easier and quicker than I had imagined.

I'd just add that should Microsoft ever take the step of announcing the precise contents of forthcoming updates, and allow the consumer to choose only those which they want, I might consider re-enabling the service.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 06:04 PM

I received a security update alert earlier this afternoon. Took me all of 10 minutes to update my security system.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 06:21 PM

I hate all updates. Totally unnecessary and usually cause problems.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 06:36 PM

I have just updated the MacBook I received yesterday and was surprised that it told me exactly what was being updated. It took about ten minutes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I have just updated the MacBook I received yesterday and was surprised that it told me exactly what was being updated. It took about ten minutes.
There, you see. If Crapple can do it, why can't Microsoft?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top