Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 08:44 PM

Phlebotomy services in my borough.

Our NHS, in its infinite wisdom, has taken on board patient feedback for improving the phlebotomy services. So, what have they done? Increased the hours in the day, so more chance of being able to get a later blood test? Why, yes, they have! What else? Oh, forgot. They've closed three clinics.

Yup. You read that right.

So for those of us needing a fasting blood test, we face the choice of either fighting the ever increasing morning crowds, and probably getting out sometime around 10am, or waiting till the afternoon and then fainting from starvation.

Hmmmm. I might have to drive the few miles, in the morning rush hour, to my secret clinic, and hope that not everyone else had thought of it. Or cave in and pay £30 for the home service, and get that early appointment without a bother. And having instant breakfast afterwards.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 09:36 AM

Re: Phlebotomy services in my borough.

The phlebotomy (vampire) clinic down this way works very well, - walk -in service, hand in the blood sciences form and join a short queue (perhaps up to 30 minutes), although it does pay to arrive early in the morning (I have to catch two buses to the vampire clinic) and get there before 10.00am, otherwise the queue becomes that much longer.

Now that my blood platelets are creating havoc and are up and down like a yoyo, I am being monitored closely and have to attend the 'vampire' clinic weekly. Couple of weeks ago the buses were just right, left home at 08.55, caught the first bus at 09.03, and when I changed buses there was only a few minutes wait fir the second. Was at the 'vampire' clinic by 09.20 and walked out again after my test at 09.35.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 09:38 AM

That's fine for when you don't need a fasting test. Older sis and I both said we cannot go too long without food in the day, without feeling a little faint.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 09:39 AM

Ours is bending almost to breaking point too many patients and not enough time in the day to take the blood. I can't work out why having the test in the afternoon is a problem though as you still wait same length of time without food, 12-14 hours at most. So you shouldn't be more hungry no matter what time they do it. Or have I misunderstood the problem ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ours is bending almost to breaking point too many patients and not enough time in the day to take the blood. I can't work out why having the test in the afternoon is a problem though as you still wait same length of time without food, 12-14 hours at most. So you shouldn't be more hungry no matter what time they do it. Or have I misunderstood the problem ?

Yes Julie darlin' - it can be a problem if you're diabetic - too long without food can tip you into a diabetic coma
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Julie darlin' - it can be a problem if you're diabetic - too long without food can tip you into a diabetic coma
It's a test designed for diabetics so I assume it wouldn't be a problem, most people easily go longer than that.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Our phlebotomy service opens at 8 am for those patients who have been starved overnight, they get priority. Cancer patients who are receiving chemo or radiotherapy go and sit in a specially designated area, away from potentially infectious other patients. They are always called in first. That was certainly a benefit when I was on chemo, in and out, no hour long waiting?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

01-11-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's a test designed for diabetics so I assume it wouldn't be a problem, most people easily go longer than that.

No Julie darlin' - the 'fasting' test is for those who have been prescribed statins. They may or may not be diabetics too, but diabetics have to regulate their food intake far more carefully because of the risk of diabetic coma.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

01-11-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
No Julie darlin' - the 'fasting' test is for those who have been prescribed statins. They may or may not be diabetics too, but diabetics have to regulate their food intake far more carefully because of the risk of diabetic coma.
That's odd I don't have statins I am given the fasting test annually to check my diabetes is under control.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

01-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Julie, maybe you are lucky in being able to go without food from the night before until later in the afternoon. That would be a long time to go without, don't you think? Almost 24 hours! Much longer than the 12-14 you say.

As I said in my first post, I cannot, just cannot, go too long without food, from the night before. Or have you misunderstood the rules of 'fasting from the night before'?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top