Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 07:23 PM

Do you believe in fate?

By rights I should have been at night school tonight - but it was cancelled.

5:45pm - someone two streets away set off a lot of extremely loud fireworks. Knowing my friend's Westie was terrified of them - and friend had gone out - I was able to go and sit with the little dog until the noises stopped and she stopped shaking.

6:30pm - Saw ambulance outside my house - next door neighbour had a heart attack - went off all blues and twos - was able to stay with his wife until his sister arrived to drive her to the hospital.

Would not have been around if night school had not been cancelled.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Re: Do you believe in fate?

Yes, ST, l believe in fate but some would scoff and say it was purely coincidence!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Right place at the right time.
The same happens to me all the time.
I wonder at times why me.
But yes, it may well be the hand of fate or something we know nothing about.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 09:03 PM

I think I do I certainly believe if a plan doesn't go right often it works out better in the end. Saw a puppy we liked but he was sold before we got to him so we bought Elsie instead and even with her problems she's the dog for us we adore the bones of her and all the rest obviously
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 09:35 PM

Thing is . . .

If you HAD gone to night school, then according to your theory, fate would have intervened in some other way.

It's a rather circular argument TBH.

Things happen because there is a cause behind them. Cause and effect. We may not always see or understand what that cause is or how it has been implemented, but the cause is always there nevertheless.

Another way to view this is to realise that, you not being at night school, might have meant you weren't there to help someone else, or that someone else might have suffered or been disadvantaged by the lesson being cancelled.

The "fate" argument doesn't hold water and really is a bit of an extension of ego because what you are saying is that you are somehow more special or important then everyone else and Fate chose you to be the hero.

The reality is we are all the same. Focussing on just one of the millions of events that occurred at that time and ignoring all the others isn't objective.

It's like a million people all rolling a die at the same time and you claiming something special happened because you rolled a 6.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 10:00 PM

Isn't fate a bit like hindsight?, at the time you don't think anything about what you do or why, its only when you look back you think, that happened for a reason
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Thing is . . .

If you HAD gone to night school, then according to your theory, fate would have intervened in some other way.

It's a rather circular argument TBH.

Things happen because there is a cause behind them. Cause and effect. We may not always see or understand what that cause is or how it has been implemented, but the cause is always there nevertheless.

Another way to view this is to realise that, you not being at night school, might have meant you weren't there to help someone else, or that someone else might have suffered or been disadvantaged by the lesson being cancelled.

The "fate" argument doesn't hold water and really is a bit of an extension of ego because what you are saying is that you are somehow more special or important then everyone else and Fate chose you to be the hero.

The reality is we are all the same. Focussing on just one of the millions of events that occurred at that time and ignoring all the others isn't objective.

It's like a million people all rolling a die at the same time and you claiming something special happened because you rolled a 6.
What, within the same country, society, continent, maybe we are not all the same, thankfully.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 10:47 PM

Well - whatever it was - I glad I was able to be of use. Neighbours wife just returned home from the hospital - husband going to be all right.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 11:06 PM

Yes, I think I do believe it in Tabs.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 01:11 AM

Now then Tabby. There are not only countable infinities but also non countable infinities. I hasten to add that I had this discussion a few weeks back. It is my belief that we traverse between one transcendental infinite situation and another as we "live" our lives. That, for me, is the definition of "time" which is no longer a viable definition of "time" but is also the definition of "time".

Therefore, whether we have a predestination or not is entirely random.

Statistically, we may, or may not.

Chaotically, we may exist now or may not have done and may not nor will do so. Expand your mind.

So, what was the question???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top