Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:48 AM

Sentient beings

It was once said by astronomer Carl Sagan that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on all the beach's of the world. I don't know how many that is but it's a 10 followed by one heck of a lot of zeros. If every star has at least several planets we can multiply the above number by a factor of 2, 3, 4 or more. Once again we end up with an unimaginably large number.

So, with all those planets is it reasonable to believe that we are alone in the Universe ? Can we be the only sentient beings in the vastness of space ?

What are your thoughts on this ?
If you answer yes, do you think humans could "wrap their minds around this" ? Would we panic ? Would we be thrilled ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Re: Sentient beings

I loved the 'Cosmos' programmes Carl Sagan made for TV , he had a lovely mesmerising voice .

I doubt very much that we are alone in the Universe but think we may be too far away from other life forms to ever know of their existence.

If you answer yes, do you think humans could "wrap their minds around this" ? Would we panic ? Would we be thrilled ?
I am sure some would 'panic', they panic at anything, no life form could be worse than the human race for sheer cruelty.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
It was once said by astronomer Carl Sagan that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on all the beach's of the world. I don't know how many that is but it's a 10 followed by one heck of a lot of zeros. If every star has at least several planets we can multiply the above number by a factor of 2, 3, 4 or more. Once again we end up with an unimaginably large number.

So, with all those planets is it reasonable to believe that we are alone in the Universe ? Can we be the only sentient beings in the vastness of space ?

What are your thoughts on this ?
I honestly wouldn't be surprised, I would like to have a good look at 1 if they did arrive on Earth, would they be equally surprised to see us? I saw a show on Netflex and it was documentary, and they were talking about 2 alien races that the Gov 's on Earth Know About, yet keep to themselves. I know I know conspiracy's and stuff but It was mentioned that even Carl Sagan knew about them, Stephen Hawking also. As with anything you get what is presented and I don't believe everything I read / see. It was convincing though.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 09:15 AM

I remember watching Prof Brian Cox on this he said he thought there was life of some sort but he ruled out life anything like us.

He said our evolution was just so complex full of mistakes and abnormalities it would be impossible to replicate and that in his view we are alone in the universe.

I respect his views and although none of us will never know for sure I expect he is right.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 09:17 AM

We just don't know do we. There could be thousands of aliens out there or none. It could just be that Earth is a one off where everything just happened to come together at the right time. I can get my head around there being other species out there but what I can't quite grasp is what's outside the universe as we know it.

I would like to think that one day Earthlings will meet an alien race but judging by the way we behave on Earth, it might be the beginning of the end for both sides.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I loved the 'Cosmos' programmes Carl Sagan made for TV , he had a lovely mesmerising voice .

I doubt very much that we are alone in the Universe but think we may be too far away from other life forms to ever know of their existence.

I am sure some would 'panic', they panic at anything, no life form could be worse than the human race for sheer cruelty.
Right you are, Meg. I would hate to think that they would treat us like we, the Europeans, treated the so-called "backwards people" in the New World.
Wow, talk about Karma.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 10:02 AM

Another thing Brian Cox said was that our civilisations here on earth never lasted long enough for us to build a knowledge base big enough to know. He said humans would become extinct for whatever reason before questions could be answered. I love listening to him
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 10:42 AM

I know some may make fun of this post but I thought it would be interesting to others .

Many years ago sister worked at a large hotel in Surrey , it had a golf course . 5 friends went onto the golf course late in the evening . They were playing and laughing together ( none had been drinking ) one friend shouted to the others to look at a particular area where a soft glow appeared to be moving towards them , as they watched quietly the glow formed into two beings around 7ft in height , the beings seemed to be joined at the hands , they seemed to float slowly , they came gently towards the group and the group moved towards each other and started to walk back towards the hotel , they kept looking back and as they did the beings were smiling , they were not aggressive but gentle they followed the group right up to the steps of the hotel over a period of time about 15 minutes , as my sister walked onto the steps she turned and looked , the beings were about 50 yds away still joined at the hands , they smiled at her . The group were so stunned they went into the hotel .

The overall feeling was they were in no danger , they thought maybe they were making too much noise and the beings just moved them on . This was around 40 years ago and my sister still tells the story exactly the same today . She showed me the area on a map recently and where they were on the golf course and where the glow first started . She thought at first they may be ghosts but over the years believes they were not of this world .

I've always believed there are other life forms , whatever my sister and friends saw were not human but made of light and shape
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 11:05 AM

NASA says:

The Solar System and Beyond is Awash in Water

As NASA missions explore our solar system and search for new worlds, they are finding water in surprising places. Water is but one piece of our search for habitable planets and life beyond Earth.

Water is found in primitive bodies like comets and asteroids, and dwarf planets like Ceres. The atmospheres and interiors of the four giant planets -- Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune -- are thought to contain enormous quantities of the wet stuff, and their moons and rings have substantial water ice.

Perhaps the most surprising water worlds are the five icy moons of Jupiter and Saturn that show strong evidence of oceans beneath their surfaces: Ganymede, Europa and Callisto at Jupiter, and Enceladus and Titan at Saturn.
Water plumes venting from Saturn's moon Enceladus:

Cassini scientists have announced that a form of chemical energy that life can feed on appears to exist on Enceladus.

Hydrogen gas, which could potentially provide a chemical energy source for life, is pouring into the subsurface ocean of Enceladus from hydrothermal activity on the seafloor.

The presence of ample hydrogen in the moon's ocean means that microbes – if any exist there – could use it to obtain energy by combining the hydrogen with carbon dioxide dissolved in the water. This chemical reaction, known as "methanogenesis" because it produces methane as a byproduct, is at the root of the tree of life on Earth.
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...atch-nasa.html

We have yet to explore our own system thoroughly, let alone "beyond" .....

There may be life out there, it may well be sentient but it will it be able to reason .....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

25-10-2017, 11:06 AM

I don't want to make light of your story Susan but they walked back to the hotel with these beings following? I would have been running that's for sure.

I do think you are right though there is more than we understand, maybe they were time travelers from our future?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top