Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 06:31 PM

Have you ever been sectioned?

I was last year when I was in hospital with my Hodgkins Lymphoma.

I kept trying to escape, and got out of the hospital grounds a couple of times. I had delirium and was convinced that they were trying to kill me.

So they got someone out and I was sectioned for my own good. It didn't last long, though, as my delirium finally responded to treatment and I felt much better.

I think it lasted 10 days and by that time my chemo had started and I was given a date when I could finally go home. I was in hospital for some 75 days altogether, around half of which I can remember - the rest of that time is a mystery to me and what I could recall was very scary (not the cancer part but my mental health).
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 06:40 PM

Re: Have you ever been sectioned?

No, I have never been sectioned. The nearest I came to that was being locked in an office with a Ward Sister and a patient who was having a psychotic episode. We talked to him for three hours until the Mental Health Team arrived to section him. I was not scared, the poor man was terrified by his imagined demons. I do hope he recovered.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 06:48 PM

I too had imagined demons, and a touch of dementia - I was always losing things and even if they were in plain view I couldn't see them. The visitors I got helped me greatly though, seemed to calm me down.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Not quite but I attempted suicide and was threatened if I did it again. I didn't but not because of the threats in fact I think they just made me sure I'd be more careful and do it right next time.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 07:35 PM

Yes

A it saved my life and for that I shall be ever grateful

Was hard at the time because let’s face it, who wants to admit they are mentally ill For years I had fought against admitting I was ill. Being sectioned I had to face up and admit I was ill and slowly over a couple of years got well enough to join the human race
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 07:37 PM

Glad you got better missy.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Not myself but a very close friend was sectioned.

She suffered from Manic depression. It's called Bipolar now.

Most of the time she was subdued with drugs but every few years she seemed to burst out. Her personality changed completely, she couldn't look after herself.

In the bad old days they would administer 'electric shock' treatment to her. She hated it but it worked in a fashion.

I think in later years they didn't do that anymore. It was barbaric.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 10:14 AM

I haven't but I have helped someone who was. It seems to depend on where it happens but where he was they had a particularly poor service. It was extremely difficult to get him out. They still administer ect and gave it to him against his will even though they know it damages the brain. He finds it difficult to read a book now. He's in a better area now where they have a joined up service.

Its a false economy to cut the social care side of mental health. But unfortunately councils control those budgets.

Being sectioned you lose all your rights. Secure mental health units are like a prison. It was horrible just being there. I can't imagine how id feel as a patient.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not quite but I attempted suicide and was threatened if I did it again. I didn't but not because of the threats in fact I think they just made me sure I'd be more careful and do it right next time.
Been there, same threat. I have to fill out a form every time i see my CBT therapist to rate any of those thoughts I have had lately, how often and whether I will act on them.

Actually the worst was when my first wife had our daughter and got that very severe post natal depression. Three weeks after having the baby my son 14, and I came home to find ambulance and doctor at the house, blue flashing lights and all. She was taken to hospital and interviewed by doctor who told me if she didn't go on a psychiatric ward voluntarily she would be sectioned which would make it harder for her to get out later. I felt terrible leaving her in such an awful place.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 08:48 PM

I haven't but my mother was sectioned several times over the years starting in 1960 off and on through to the late 90s. She had ECT several times in the early years, locked up, 'zombified'. Awful times.

I worked in a mental health hospital and it made me so sad to see young pt's with eating disorders being sectioned.

Sad to read the posters experience's here - but so good to hear you have all overcome or dealt with your inner demons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top