Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:05 PM

A Trans-Atlantic tunnel

It's not so fantastic as you may think, study groups of engineers are looking at the possibility of such a project.

The tunnel would be a rail one of course with Magna-Trains floating on a magnetic field, they're experimenting with these in Germany just now.

To build one directly from England to New York would cost $6 billion per kilometer and it's 5,000 kilometers to New York.

Another route they're looking at which would only cost half as much is from Newfoundland to Greenland then to Iceland and finally to Scotland, the rails would travel overland in both countries, but as I've said before when I'm asked when we're gonna get decent politicians, "not in my time".
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Re: A Trans-Atlantic tunnel

That sounds claustrophobic, I don't think I would like that. I don't doubt that in years to come it could happen.

I've never used the channel tunnel either, I prefer ferries.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:19 PM

I don't think I could stay subterranean that long either. I've never done the Channel tunnel though I think we'll Eurostar to Paris next May
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:40 PM

The speed of the trains will be in excess of 800 mph, because the trains will float so to speak on the magnetic field passengers will feel no motion, actually I don't fancy it either.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Sounds like the realms of Sci-fi to me ........... but what an amazing technology if it can be developed.

I seem to remember a film about disaster in a trans continental tunnel ...... or was that Thunderbirds????
nero
Central Scotland

08-09-2009, 06:26 PM

The think tank are not proposing to tunnel under the ocean floor, they would suspend the tunnel about 200 feet below the waves anchored by cables attached to the ocean floor.

What would happen if a giant tanker or cruise liner sank above the tunnel doesn't bear thinking about.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:50 PM

That would be a dream for anyone who's afraid of flying! But it would be easy for terrorists, I believe, to attack it by submarine or depth charges. Won't happen in my lifetime, unfortunately!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:52 PM

I have a strange feeling going by train under the Severn Tunnel let alone anything longer than that!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Tunnels don't especially bother me: been in the Baltimore tunnel, and a lot of our subway is underground or under the River ....
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 10:04 PM

Nothing would get me through a tunnel no matter how fast the transport was-don't like sailing but will fly but can't say I really enjoy that either-will drive for miles though in the car

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top