Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Hissing & Spitting!

I have been passing a pair of swans nearby where I live for a number of years, and as I walk passed them with my dogs, have developed automatically calling out; "It's alright, it's only us".

To my astonishment and delight, these swans will hiss & spit, and raise their hackles (don't know correct term for swans) at anyone else going by ..... but we just amble by no problem whatsoever.

Anyone else found something similar to their surprise?

(Wonder if I can now consider myself a Swan Trainer as well as a Dog Trainer)!!!!!

Rainbow
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Re: Hissing & Spitting!

Have an old tall electric pole right beside my house and the local wood peckers have hammered away at the top of it so much that it makes a loud hollow sound when they hammer on it. There are no bugs in that pole-never has been-so why the interest by these birds? Spoke to a friend who knows about birds & was informed: The wood peckers are using it to get their messages to reach further-that hollow sound travels further.
So I guess we humans didn't invent telegraph or morse code after all.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Well, would you believe it. I take it they are conversing with other Woodpeckers much further away, or else if they are talking to the birds on the same pole, they are rather wasting their beak!!

Rainbow
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 05:06 PM

They are conversing with birds further away.
I guess if more the one bird is hammering away at same time-then they have their own chat forum going.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
They are conversing with birds further away.
I guess if more the one bird is hammering away at same time-then they have their own chat forum going.
That sounds better than sending smoke signals
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Just as well Mrs Windsor isn't in the vicinity, she might have 'em for her table.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

27-01-2011, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Just as well Mrs Windsor isn't in the vicinity, she might have 'em for her table.

She`d have a right ruddy nerve then as they are under Royal protection .............
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Topaz ->
She`d have a right ruddy nerve then as they are under Royal protection .............
Precisely!!! - which is why they could end up on Mrs Windsor's table.
dragon
florida, usa

27-01-2011, 05:24 PM

We have a few Pileated woodpeckers that are in area and one of them uses that pole once in awhile. Talk about a racket! His sound must travel for miles.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

27-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Report him to the noise abatement society !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top