Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 10:40 AM

The West Highland Way

Has anyone done this walk ?

It's about 100 miles, from Milngavie on the outskirts of Glasgow to Fort William.
The route takes you up the side of Loch Lomond past Rowandennan to Crianlarich then up over Rannoch moor to Kinlochleven.

It almost follows the railway line across the moor but turns west to take you towards Fort William going round the base of Ben Nevis, fantastic scenery all the way.

You may bike it if you wish but I'm past all that I must take some photos of the route for you all to see, it's a sight to behold.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Re: The West Highland Way

That sounds lovely but its a bit too far away from here. Maybe one day though.

My friend and I are walking the South Downs Way in sections, I walk bits of it just about every day with the dogs as it almost runs past our door, that is also 100 miles long. We have completed about 60 miles so far. The most enjoyable bit for us so far has been the Seven Sisters, this is mainly along the cliff tops, past Beachy Head, you need good weather or you could get blown away!

I couldn't do it by bike, too much like hard work! I meet some right nutters at work who will cycle it in one day!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:12 PM

It's well worth the effort, beautiful country and there's a few watering holes along the way you can book into hotels so you can do it in stages.

An alternative is to travel by train, the railway follows the route most of the way until the other side of Rannoch moor when it branches off and travels into Fort William from the north, take a camera with you.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:19 PM

Sounds lovely
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Years ago I would have loved to have done something like that, I have full admiration for anyone attempts the walk....
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 06:54 PM

We've only done 'very wild Scotland' once, a few years ago. Totally glorious down the West coast - Inverewe and then tiny seaside places and deserted places.

We've decided, as it is so very weather dependant, that any future trips that way, either mainland or islands, will be when my husband is retired, when we have all the time in the world and when we can spot a good forecast and just 'go for it'. Hooray for internet bookings - we'll just pack the Saab and go (topless!)
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:19 PM

I have only ever seen Scotland from the road or nearby but have seen Kinlochleven,

(Loch Leven ) Kinlochleven in background
Loch Linnie

I can understand why you say that this a beautiful walk (exausting )but I bet bet so worthwhile ... I will look forward to seeing your photo's as they are always exquisite...
Sue
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Lovely pics Sue-have only been to Scotland once-we stayed in caravan but found some lovely walks with fantastic scenery-really enjoyed my stay
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 10:11 PM

Fantastic pics Sue!

Thanks to those of you who live in Scotland and those who have holidayed there, I truly appreciate your wonderful scenery!
nero
Central Scotland

09-09-2009, 10:54 AM

Hi Sue, that pic of Loch Linne is on the way to Fort William, the main road is very close to the waters edge innit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top