Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 08:06 AM

Going to the theatre...

We used to do it a lot.. Years ago Wimbledon used to do a 5quid ticket on Mondays and we used to go and see all sorts of things from Ballet to prisoner cell block H !

Mum has told me she has been invited to go to the panto at Wimbledon this year and the price is over £30... shes an OAP
No wonder people dont go anymore.

Even here prices are silly, a production of swan lake locally was €60..
Wages on average are €10 per hour.

OH and I are going to see Blues brothers approved in November and I got tickets at a resonable price for that but how does a family with children manage to go to see anything these days or is that why the theatre is waning in popularity?

I know prices have to rise costs and overheads etc but theatre shouldnt be place reserved for the rich and it looks as if that the way its going.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 08:44 AM

Re: Going to the theatre...

I go a few times a year locally , tickets around £25 which is affordable as a treat . My grandaughter is always in pantomime over the Christmas period obviously we go as a family to see it and the cost is around £60 . Daughter who is into drama tells me the costs to the cast for wages , rent etc are huge which I guess would be right . I do love the theatre and we have a great one here in Dorset , it's run by volunteers having been previously owned by the council after years of it not making any money ( or so they said ) it now is non profit making and thriving . I'm going tomorrow night to see Navi who is a Michael Jackson tribute , I hear he is good so looking forward to it
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 09:16 AM

I love the theatre and until recent years had a season ticket, but since being alone I do not go so frequently. I also like Am/Dram and we have many successful shows locally. When on holiday we always include a theatre trip.

Not only theatre, I like going to the Arts Centre and have heard some very interesting talks, last year Sir Ranulph Fiennes and this coming week will see Gordon Buchanan, the Wildlife Photographer/Presenter (a late birthday present).
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 09:25 AM

I used to go to the theatre, but agree prices are too high now. Now I'm older and wiser, not even Martin Show can persuade me to part with my hard earned. He is currently on tour in a new play but I baulk at paying a lot.

Not long ago, my niece (who claims to be short of money) took her entire family of two adults and four children to see a West End show for a birthday treat, then on to a restaurant, and some of us in the family wondered at the time, how on earth did they manage to afford it? They also had to add on train ticket costs.

And here's me not wanting to pay for just one ticket.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 01:49 PM

I used to go to the theatre, operas, shows etc quite a lot. Not now though, unless I'm treated.

My daughter treats me on b/days or Christmas if there is anything she will know I like, she even payed for the train fare down south to see Phantom, as well as paying for the tickets. Must have cost an arm and leg
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 01:56 PM

I go to all the London productions, mostly musicals.
I walk in the theatre, just a couple of hours before the show, and I ALWAYS get a reduced price top ticket. My last musical was Motown the musical, I only paid £20 in the front of the circle.
I paid just £12 for front row to see the Mouse Trap.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 06:14 PM

The Musicals are my favourite too, but seldom go now. a) too expensive b) no one to go with really.

I have to agree with the original post, about how to take a family is off the radar now for many. Even the local theatre productions are far too much such as Pantomimes at the most expensive time of year.
It's a shame , as if they want the youngsters to keep the theatre going in years to come, with new talent etc, they are not going about it the right way.

Last one I saw was a couple of months ago, which was a matinee of the new production of La Cage Aux Folles. It was very good but the theatre ( a big one) was almost empty, apart from a few coach loads sitting in the stalls. Sign of the times.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
The Musicals are my favourite too, but seldom go now. a) too expensive b) no one to go with really.

I have to agree with the original post, about how to take a family is off the radar now for many. Even the local theatre productions are far too much such as Pantomimes at the most expensive time of year.
It's a shame , as if they want the youngsters to keep the theatre going in years to come, with new talent etc, they are not going about it the right way.

Last one I saw was a couple of months ago, which was a matinee of the new production of La Cage Aux Folles. It was very good but the theatre ( a big one) was almost empty, apart from a few coach loads sitting in the stalls. Sign of the times.
I often go alone. Les Mis is expensive and my favourite.
Always paid full price for that one.

I have no idea about other areas, but many theatres have a relaxed performance for Panto's. This is usually only one afternoon in the season, but half the price.
Check it out in your area.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 08:14 AM

I love going to the theatre and always like to book well in advance to get the best seats. I don't mind paying between £30 and £50 for a show I really want to see.

I've been to the West End a few times - Jersey Boys etc but nowadays I like to go to my local theatre when they come on tour.
Currently I have tickets for the Carole King musical 'Beautiful' in October and The Sensational 60's experience in November. The tickets for them cost £44 and £30 at the Theatre Royal Nottingham - it's a lovely old theatre. I went on a backstage tour one year.

I'm always on the lookout for a new show I fancy. My favourites are the rock n roll musicals.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 11:11 AM

This is what I miss about no longer living close/in London, the theatre

I worked for the NHS and we were always getting tickets for the west end shows for as little as £2. Ok you didn't have a choice and you had to go that evening usually straight from work in work clothes, and you did kind of feel odd in the dress circle surrounded by people in all their finery , but who cared

Then when Ken introduced cut price tickets we always got to see as many shows as possible

Since I've lived here I've only seen one am dram show. It was excellent, what made me leave at the interval was the theatre. Cold, draughty, and wooden seats ( university theatre )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top