Join for free
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 07:39 AM

Throw away society?

We are often berated for being a throw away society but sometimes its the best option.

OH is complaining that his electric shaver is not cutting as it used to and he asked me to get a new one...

I inisted no you can get new cutting blades for it...

So Ive searched...A brand new shaver with 2 year warrenty is less than €50 but just to replace the cutting blades is €40 + P&P !
A total saving of €4 !

No wonder people dont bother to repair anything.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 08:17 AM

Re: Throw away society?

On Costing The Earth last night on radio 4 they investigated a scheme running in London whereby people can borrow "stuff" rather than buy something - sorry to be vague, but I was nodding off and only caught bits. They spoke to a man borrowing a work bench and a bicycle, he said his new build just didn't have sufficient cupboard space to keep large items permanently. Apparently many people now prefer experiences rather than material goods, so they can, say, hire bikes to explore their area, or roller blades for a fun day out, then return them. There were musical instruments to borrow too, all sorts apparently. It seems to be working well according to the narrator, and helps with the terrible waste filling up landfills.

They also run a spare food scheme whereby you can use an app to advertise any excess food if, for example, you're going on holiday or just bought too much. Users can indicate any food they'd like themselves and neighbours or other users will pop it round to you,

Of course, not much help with replacement shaver blades, and a bit off topic, apologies for that - but what I did hear was quite thought provoking.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 08:36 AM

With the quality of some of the stuff these days, there certainly won't be much left to qualify for 'antique of the future'!

In 1973, my mother bought me a refurbished AEG automatic washing machine. It was still going 18 years later.
I can't see today's washing machines lasting the same!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Eccles, that scheme does sound like a good idea, I have to say! How many of us want something for one job, or yes, the opportunity to cycle around town for a bit of exercise. I still have my helmet.

Wonder what the scheme is called?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Streetbank.com
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 12:13 PM

We try our best not to throw things away, but for instance we have a fridge, OK a bit old but you'd think as it works well someone might use it but we've ebayed, gumtrees, and free cycled and no takers. Monday its off to the local tip sad but I can't think of any other way.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
With the quality of some of the stuff these days, there certainly won't be much left to qualify for 'antique of the future'!

In 1973, my mother bought me a refurbished AEG automatic washing machine. It was still going 18 years later.
I can't see today's washing machines lasting the same!
I would agree Art, nothing appears to be quality goods these days!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 12:27 PM

I went through a Throw Away society this morning, most of the stuff was thrown on the front gardens.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Eccles, that scheme does sound like a good idea, I have to say! How many of us want something for one job, or yes, the opportunity to cycle around town for a bit of exercise. I still have my helmet.

Wonder what the scheme is called?
You probably need to check on the C the E website, I'm rubbish at that sort of thing, sorry.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top