Join for free
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 01:33 PM

Central heating and boiler contracts

I have my boiler and central heating contract with SSE , boiler is now 10 yrs old . Some will say don't get involved with these contracts but it makes me feel safer knowing within hours an engineer will be out to fix it , as in the past I've waited for weeks for engineers and been without hot water and heating , at least on a contract I'm covered .

So 8 years ago I started with SSE , this week they wrote to say there was an increase to £23 per month , a friend suggested I look at 24/7 home care . The package they offered looked good , £16.99 monthly for central heating boiler plumbing and electric all covered . I chatted to a very young girl who tried to get me to sign up on the phone although she knew boiler was 10 yrs old saying it's not a problem etc etc . I decided to check out the company reviews . They were bad , some people emailed me to say avoid them at all costs . I quickly read through 24/7 home care terms and discovered there was a £75 excess to pay on all boilers over 11 yrs , so I emailed the young girl asking for more info , I had no reply .

I phoned SSE and told them I'd had a better offer from another company and was thinking of leaving them , the chap then offered me a reduced renewal of £17.99 . I accepted .

Yesterday the young girl from 24/7 rang to ask if I was going to sign up , I told her because of the very bad reviews on line I wouldn't . She quickly ended the call without comment .

As I said above iknow a number of you will say avoid contracts but I get a yearly service and have had numerous repairs and they come out in hours of a breakdown . I've been ripped off in the past and it's often a difficult decision and worrying when your on your own .

Anyone on here heard of 24/7 home care , if not it's worth reading the reviews so be warned .
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 02:13 PM

Re: Central heating and boiler contracts

It's always worth going back to the provider you are happy with and tell them about any better offer you have been offered.

I don't have boiler cover myself as we don't have gas and oil ones are easy to self maintain, but I did get a very good deal from my phone provider after telling them what Tescos were offering me to switch. Most providers of services want to keep customers
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 03:02 PM

Had a new boiler 10 months ago, the financial reasoning that I could cancel the expensive cover £25.00 per month, on the old boiler. The new boiler has a seven year parts and labour warranty, what the crafty bastwerds don't tell you is, just like with a car, to keep the warranty valid, you have to have the appliance serviced every year, there is a service book you have to get stamped. Wouldn't mind betting we won't get much change from £100.00 for each service.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Had a new boiler 10 months ago, the financial reasoning that I could cancel the expensive cover £25.00 per month, on the old boiler. The new boiler has a seven year parts and labour warranty, what the crafty bastwerds don't tell you is, just like with a car, to keep the warranty valid, you have to have the appliance serviced every year, there is a service book you have to get stamped. Wouldn't mind betting we won't get much change from £100.00 for each service.
My 5yr warranty runs out this year so it's the last service under it next week. It's £79 inc VAT this year. The other years it's been roughly the same.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 10:53 PM

There is no escaping the inevitable, so it seems.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top