Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 02:22 PM

FAIRTRADE Products?

Does anyone try to be aware and buy any Fairtrade Products while shopping?

Anything you particular like and enjoy?

Rainbow
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Re: FAIRTRADE Products?

Being that I happen to live on western side of pond, could you please explain that for this feeble minded dragon?
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Bananas. They are about the only thing I see that I regularly buy. There is some fancy coffee but its not our sort of stuff.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
Being that I happen to live on western side of pond, could you please explain that for this feeble minded dragon?
Dragon darlin' - Fairtrade - an organisation set up to market produce directly from the producers to their customers. It cuts out the middle-man and ensures that the producers obtain a 'fair price' for their produce - it works!!!
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Thanks "Joe"!
Kinda like our farmers markets or fruit stands here.
I'd much rather get my fruits & veggies from them and go to flea markets for the rest-cheaper prices for sure. But the gas to go to all these place costs more then just going to the regular store.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by dragon ->

Could I also add that their aiim is for a world in which justice and sustainable development are at the heart of trade structures and practices, so that everyone, through their work, can maintain a decent and dignified livelihood and develop their full potential.

Fairtrade seeks to transform trading structures and practices in favour of the poor and disadvantaged. Because as you would know workers in certain Countries work exceptionally long hours, quite often in difficult conditions for a pittance!!

Rainbow
dragon
florida, usa

23-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I now fully understand and agree with Fairtraders.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 04:22 PM

I look for quality first and foremost in my fruits & veggies. If that's in the organic section I shop there. In the few good weather months I frequent stands that get their goods from local farms. It is a fact in the United States that the produce we buy in grocery stores has traveled 1500 miles before it arrives at your local store. That's pretty hard on fresh, ripe goods so you're not buying the best
Rainbow
Surrey UK

23-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Bob, good job your tea/coffee or hotdog doesn't need to travel that far - would be STONE COLD!!!

Rainbow
dragon
florida, usa

23-01-2011, 04:27 PM

If I want a REAL georgia peach I head up to Georgia (usa). They can't ship the real ones. Too tender!!!!
Local fodder is best. Once some fruits & veggies are picked green they don't ripen right. If I want oranges or grapefruit- I just go out my front door.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top