Join for free
Dollychris
South Wales
Dollychris is female  Dollychris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Traditional Welsh cake recipe.

Hello,
I mentioned a love of Welsh cakes in the Tea or Coffee thread in Food & Drink and thought you may like to have this traditional recipe. Can be made plain and sandwiched with Butter/ Jam/Cream or fruited with your fave dried fruit. So easy and quick to make and delicious...............

WELSH CAKES

8 oz (225g) self raising flour
pinch of salt
4 oz (100g) butter/butter
2 oz (50g) castor sugar
2 oz (50g) currants
2 small eggs (or 1 medium egg plus 2 tablespoons of milk)

1. Mix flour and salt, and rub in butter until like breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in sugar and currants.

3. Add eggs and mix to a fairly stiff dough.

4. Roll out dough to approx 1/4 inch thickness (slightly thicker works well, too).

5. Use small/medium diameter pastry cutter to cut into rounds - don't forget to re-roll the trimmings!

6. Place rounds of dough on a moderately hot griddle for approximately 3 minutes each side - the heat of the griddle is critical so as not to over-brown the cakes! Experiment to find the correct heat.

7. Eat hot or cold.

Hope you enjoy - but be warned that they won't last long as family always eat hot off the griddle when they get wind of the gorgeous aroma! xx
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Re: Traditional Welsh cake recipe.

Mmmm .... they sound lovely, Chris - thanks for the recipe!
Dollychris
South Wales
Dollychris is female  Dollychris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 01:08 PM

You're welcome Mags - well worth trying and so quick and easy. Mixed and on griddle in about 20 minutes! xx
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Oh these I just gotta try!!! - sounds like food that's right up my street.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Thanks Dollychris, I'll have a go at those over the weekend and report back...
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 06:41 AM

I love welsh cakes i cant seem to get a griddle though so i have tried this recipe before but using a frying pan ? We lived in wales when i was younger and i have eaten more than my fair share of welsh cakes ..Being i have a sweet tooth..I may make some now this recipe has tempted me..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by callumsmum ->
I love welsh cakes i cant seem to get a griddle though so i have tried this recipe before but using a frying pan ? We lived in wales when i was younger and i have eaten more than my fair share of welsh cakes ..Being i have a sweet tooth..I may make some now this recipe has tempted me..
Mary, if I cannot find what I'm looking for in the shops, I go to the online got-it-all shop, Amazon! Plenty of griddles there ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...Agriddle+plate

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top