Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 06:37 AM

Power

It is with some apprehension that I start another thread.

This one looks at power. No, not mechanical power and not physical power. I speak about power over others and who holds that power. Specifically I want to look at those who "ask" and those who have the power to accept or decline.

I trust that no-one will argue with me if I say a parent has power over a child. When that child approaches it's mother and asks, "Mommy, can I go over to my friends house to play ?", it is the mother who has the final say. That is one type of power and it is generally used by the mother to look after the child's welfare.

Another type of power is that of the owner/supervisor of a business to hire, supervise, and if necessary to fire, employees. Clearly, when we apply for a job, any job, we are ASKING. The person who says yea or nay has the power.

The commonality in both situations is that someone is ASKING and another is saying yes or no. In other words the "asker" is not in power. The person who says yes or no, holds the power.
If we get in a financial jam we ask the bank for a loan. Obviously the bank holds total power over the asker.
Anytime we ask, "May I ?", we are in a "one-down" position.

I invite comments before I continue
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 06:46 AM

Re: Power

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
It is with some apprehension that I start another thread.
This one looks at power. No, not mechanical power and not physical power. I speak about power over others and who has that power. Specifically I want to look at those who "ask" and those who have the power to accept or decline.

I trust that no-one will argue with me if I say a parent has power over a child. When that child approaches it's mother and asks, "Mommy, can I go over to my friends house to play ?", it is the mother who has the final say. That is one type of power and it is generally used by the mother to look after the child's welfare.

Another type of power is that of the owner/supervisor of a business to hire, supervise, and if necessary to fire, employees. Clearly, when we apply for a job, any job, we are ASKING. The person who says yeah or nay has the power.

The commonality in both situations is that someone is ASKING and another is saying yes or no. In other words the "asker" is not in power. The person who says yes or no, holds the power.
If we get in a financial jam we ask the bank for a loan. Obviously the bank holds total power over the asker.
Anytime we ask, "May I ?", we are in a "one-down" position.

I invite comments before I continue
Yes, You are right

People and Institutions with money have power.
But you can disarm that power, especially if you are female

Sometimes all it takes is eye contact, and a genuine nice smile

bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Yes, You are right

People and Institutions with money have power.
But you can disarm that power, especially if you are female

Sometimes all it takes is eye contact, and a genuine nice smile

bakerman replies:

Excellent point.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 07:01 AM

bakerman replies:

Excellent point.
Thank you Sir.

bakerman
Mexico

27-09-2017, 07:16 AM

Let's, briefly, examine another type of power.
The rank and file of the population, those with a high-school diploma, or less, have little idea of how their government actually works. Many misinformed people assume that their Prime Minister or President has much more power than is actually the case.
If a P.M. or Pres wants to move forward on a piece of social legislation he/she, of course, can not just write up a dictate, sign it and have it become "the law". No, he/she must go before the parliament or congress, sometimes giving a speech, and ask the representatives of the people to vote for that bill. In this case it is not the P.M. or Pres who wields the power but rather it's the legislators.

Once again we see the asker and the group who says yes or no.
Admittedly there may be some back-room arm-twisting, but that is another matter and not for this thread.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 07:29 AM

Everyone has a bit of Power, the individuals that prevail, make sure theirs is renewable.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 07:31 AM

Hi

The power works both ways.

In the case of a loan, many are willing to offer one, you have the power to choose which one.

In relation to work, employees also have power.

They have the power to move employment if they are not happy.

They have the power to refuse to work overtime for a rush job, they have the power to ensure that things go wrong.

There are many ways to make life hell for a bad boss.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 07:33 AM

Let's, briefly, examine another type of power.
The rank and file of the population, those with a high-school diploma, or less, have little idea of how their government actually works. Many misinformed people assume that their Prime Minister or President has much more power than is actually the case.
If a P.M. or Pres wants to move forward on a piece of social legislation he/she, of course, can not just write up a dictate, sign it and have it become "the law". No, he/she must go before the parliament or congress, sometimes giving a speech, and ask the representatives of the people to vote for that bill. In this case it is not the P.M. or Pres who wields the power but rather it's the legislators.

Once again we see the asker and the group who says yes or no.
Admittedly there may be some back-room arm-twisting, but that is another matter and not for this thread.
I can think of a few in our so called government that have no idea how it should work - they are there only for their own agrandisement.

This is an interesting thread, Bakerman, have you considered those who are adept at manipulation - that is also a form of power, if a less obvious one.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I can think of a few in our so called government that have no idea how it should work - they are there only for their own agrandisement.

This is an interesting thread, Bakerman, have you considered those who are adept at manipulation - that is also a form of power, if a less obvious one.
What, like Chiropractors?
bakerman
Mexico

27-09-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi
The power works both ways.
In the case of a loan, many are willing to offer one, you have the power to choose which one.
In relation to work, employees also have power.
They have the power to move employment if they are not happy. They have the power to refuse to work overtime for a rush job, they have the power to ensure that things go wrong.
There are many ways to make life hell for a bad boss.
Bakerman replies
Yes, I agree. All very true. But I am only looking at the people who ask. The person who is applying for the job is doing the asking. Once hired, however, you are correct.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top