Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
oldfool
london
oldfool is male  oldfool has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 11:14 PM

child poverty 2017 in britain - does it exist ? PROF

Prof of poverty 26.09.17

what a fantastic insight

bbc i-player should be bombarded

to see extreme poverty skip the flight

now the truth can not be discarded.

not to familiar with the green

please ignore the cannabis mountain

not here to create a unrealistic scene

tears were flowing like a niagara falls fountain.

absolutely horrendous

my judgment is solid

the uk has lost its prestige and kudos

we are all untied around squalid.

shame on every politician

the party is not relevant

caring is lacking in vision

its what is dominant.

thank you for exposing

we need action and not just novelty

unread and left for decomposing

from highgate village i shame the uk for its poverty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ing-in-poverty
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 11:37 PM

Re: child poverty 2017 in britain - does it exist ? PROF

Yes it exists and yes i see it.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 11:48 PM

Yes, it certainly exists. I see it frequently as well.

I gave a young mother £2 yesterday so that she'd enough money to buy the smallest pack of nappies for her toddler. She'd had no nappies for the little boy for two days and had been using her tea cloths instead. She'd been sewing the cloths onto the little boy using a darning needle and oddments of wool given to get by a neighbour.

It makes me do sad and not a little angry. Especially as not being able to buy the bigger size of anything usually means you're paying top dollar for whatever it is you're buying.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 12:07 AM

You need a PM like Bob Hawke, he banned child poverty.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Seems to have failed Bruce.

October 16, 2016

The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) today released a new report showing that 731,300 children or 17.4% of all children in Australia are living in poverty, an increase of 2 percentage points over the past 10 years (from 2004-2014).

The report finds that nearly three million people were living in poverty in Australia in 2014, or 13.3% of the general population.

“The overall picture from the last decade is one of persistent and entrenched poverty across the community with an increase in child poverty. It is a national shame that after 25 years of economic growth, we have not done better at changing this trajectory and ensuring our most precious national resource, our children, are given the best possible start in life,” said ACOSS CEO Dr Cassandra Goldie.

http://www.acoss.org.au/media_releas...en-in-poverty/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Seems to have failed Bruce.

/[/URL]
You think you're telling us something we don't already know?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 09:39 AM

Yes as others have said it exists, more so since cuts in benefit and rents have gone up round here to point people working either pay for a roof or for food on the table.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Yes, it most certainly exists, as can be testified by my relative who works four days a week at the Foodbank. They have now also set up a Clothesbank because the numbers are still rising of those "sanctioned" by the Benefits system. In the five years she has worked there she has seen the numbers requiring help steadily climbing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Doesn't poverty of any kind rise proportionately with the increase in population. Also, more people taking out of benefits than people putting in.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tartlet ->
Yes, it certainly exists. I see it frequently as well.

I gave a young mother £2 yesterday so that she'd enough money to buy the smallest pack of nappies for her toddler. She'd had no nappies for the little boy for two days and had been using her tea cloths instead. She'd been sewing the cloths onto the little boy using a darning needle and oddments of wool given to get by a neighbour.

It makes me do sad and not a little angry. Especially as not being able to buy the bigger size of anything usually means you're paying top dollar for whatever it is you're buying.
I was under the impression that there is help for providing nappies or provisions for , through social services or other.
I find it a bitter pill, but I have to say there is far worse poverty on the continent, which we seldom hear about. Then I think of Syria and that is a life not even worth living. Despite all the bad times some have gone through, we are one of the better countries .
This is rates for Universal Credit not including children benefits, but I'm not sure how it all works.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...dit-will-I-get
If your household has no earnings, other income, capital or savings the Universal Credit award you receive will be your maximum Universal Credit award (one basic allowance plus any additional elements) unless you are affected by the Benefit Cap which limits a household's total income from certain benefits to:

•£1,916.67 per month for a couple or a lone parent in Greater London; or

•£1,666.67 per month for a couple or a lone parent outside Greater London; or

•£1,284.17 per month for a single person with no children in Greater London; or

•£1,116.67 per month for a single person with no children outside Greater London

To me, this is poverty !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top