Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:19 PM

Photo Safety On Forums, Social Sites, Etc?

I am probably being a bit paranoid but l was watching a film where it showed how the location of where you live could be discovered via your pics. I'm probably overreacting but l have removed all pics from my profile page.

Recently, I had noticed that a photo of my garden sent to me via email by a friend, showed a map and the road where l live!

Should we be more vigilant when putting pics on forums, social sites etc? Or, am l scaremongering?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Re: Photo Safety On Forums, Social Sites, Etc?

i think it doesn't do to tell people where you live if they are not trusted friends especially if you live alone .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Best thing to do is post a selfie, outside someone else's house.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:39 PM

That would only happen if the camera had gps.which many have built in. Then that would show up in the photo data via looking in exif like the kuso exif viewer.
Of course there is kit that can be added to a camera which will also imbed GPS date into a photo.
Here is an example of where to find GPS info. my camera doesn't have it so nothing recorder

With that GPS info it is easy to locate a position. handy holiday photos but not for people finding out where you live.

If your camera does not have inbuilt GPS then no problem
This is what the police would be referring to

This can easily go onto pictures posted anywhere on the internet
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Well terms of us having grace are we aren't allowed to post pictures of her on the internet anywhere. The court and police are very strict about it because they say she could be found by pictures posted.

I tend to think they may be right so I adhere to that. It's limiting as I don't feel able to post any pictures at all. But you get used to it after a while and then wonder why you started to do it in the first place.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:48 PM

Playing on my tablet one day I put into Google maps my friends address in southampton , I was surprised to see the driveway of her house and a full picture of her house , the curtains were closed , so when the picture was taken it must have been early morning . She had not posted any pictures on the net .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Susan m

that is an entirely different thing and nothing to do with extracting data from a photo, sorry
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Those with smart phones , esp iPhones, really need to did deep into their settings, esp after an update, to see exactly what info the are sharing and with whom

I found my phone was logging my movements all day everyday and sending info as to where I was in all message and texts
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Those with smart phones , esp iPhones, really need to did deep into their settings, esp after an update, to see exactly what info the are sharing and with whom

I found my phone was logging my movements all day everyday and sending info as to where I was in all message and texts
Yes I must admit these are all rather worrying developments.
Over the years I have posted loads of pics on forums, but I guess right now it is like trying to shut the gate after the horse has bolted to try and do anything about it.
And I think it is even a lot worse on the likes of Facebook!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 05:09 PM

Anything on photobucket should have disappeared if you don't have a new account. Instagram adds location but uploading to a forum will depend on the method you use. If you upload direct to a forum then it should only be the forum owner who can trace. But they have your ip address anyway unless you post via a proxy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top