Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Do you ever think about what animals are thinking?

Do you ever think about what animals are thinking?

I watch animals and often wonder what is going through their mind.

Watching Donkeys, horses, cows as we walk around the fields they sometimes look bored.

When they approach you is it because they want some company or is it because they are just inquisitive or is it because you are invading their space?

Dylan often lies on the carpet never taking his eyes off me and he murmers and moans, is this his way of trying to have a conversation?

Our cats used to jump on my knee and rub their head against my cheek and I could never quite grasp what was going through their mind at the time.

What are your veiw and thoughts?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Re: Do you ever think about what animals are thinking?

I do.

With dogs it's easier, but cat's seem to be in a world of their own - I can predict what Rocky might do, but have no clue as to what Cheetah will!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 08:29 PM

There are two expressions on Cassie's face that I'm able to read .......

1. She will come up to where I'm sitting with bright eyes and alertness, I stand up, Cassie turns round and leads me to her food bowl in the kitchen! Now I wonder what she wants?

2. If I'm sat anywhere she will come up close to my leg and stare up at me with wide eyes and twitchy ears ....... I say "C'mon then" and she is up on my lap in a flash and asleep in no time!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 10:57 PM

I often wonder what Hatti is thinking AB. Like Dylan she often lies just looking at me...when I look at her she just wags her tail and closes her eyes. Also I would love to know what she dreams about, especially when she twitches her legs and gives little 'growling noises'-maybe she's chasing rabbits or deer and just can't catch them!

Mags, like Cassie, Hatti will come and sit in front of me more or less at the exact time she gets fed-if I don't move, she'll go and sit in the kitchen and doesn't move until I feed her...she does exactly the same thing around the time we usually go walking-lies in the hallway until I'm ready to go....must have a built in alarm clock!!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
When they approach you is it because they want some company or is it because they are just inquisitive or is it because you are invading their space?

What are your veiw and thoughts?

With most animals I think it is just inquisitive, but with dogs I've tried hard to 'think like they think' and I've been looking deep into their eyes. I'm sure you can see something going on there but I'm almost certain that sadly we'll never really know.

Dogs are great creatures of habit, they like routine and they hate it when that routine gets disturbed. They cope well with change but routine is what they like so walkies and dinner time are things which they know the times of, they don't need a watch to tell them, they just know.
buddi bo
lincs
buddi bo is female  buddi bo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 11:58 PM

I have 2 dogs a parsons terrier age 9 and a staffy x age 2 , I was watching my staffy today as the other dog went up the garden to bark at nothing in particular , he stood in the sunroom and just watched and she ran about , he then came and laid down and waited for her to come in ,the look on his face was so funny , it was as if he was thinking " What a silly gobby bitch ", i have noticed him doing this most times when she is doing something silly , he just watches in amazement , its so funny .
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by buddi bo ->
I have 2 dogs a parsons terrier age 9 and a staffy x age 2 , I was watching my staffy today as the other dog went up the garden to bark at nothing in particular , he stood in the sunroom and just watched and she ran about , he then came and laid down and waited for her to come in ,the look on his face was so funny , it was as if he was thinking " What a silly gobby bitch ", i have noticed him doing this most times when she is doing something silly , he just watches in amazement , its so funny .
Yes, we laugh at our two for very similar reasons, but is it amazement going on in his head Dogs are so pack orientated and (in the case of our two) they look out for each other all the time. Maybe when he was standing in the sunroom he was thinking "There maybe something out there, or there may not be, I'll just be on standby for a moment just in case" and then when he had decided that there really was nothing out there he came to lie at your feet, what fascinates me is what was going on in his head as he lay down, dogs don't do judgemental things do they Over on Dogsey someone said we mustn't attribute anphromological responses to our dogsHaven't got a clue what that means (And don't have time to look it up) but have a feeling it's saying that dogs don't do logical thought they do instinctive thought. Still amusing to us 'tho
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 11:23 AM

I believe dogs have quite a decent degree of logical thought - its just difficult for us humans to work out what degree of logical thought they have.
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 11:46 AM

Ummm, well BJ is a labrador so its pretty easy to assume that whatever expression is on his sweet face, the thought behind it is invariably FOOD
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Try to think without using words....
difficult isn`t it?
To understand animals you have to use a different mind-set.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top