Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 09:16 PM

does your area have a flea problem?

In Florida we have a flea problem all year long & my Geeps goes nuts when she gets just one flea on her.
What do you folks use to get rid of the darn things?
romfty
spain
romfty is male 

20-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Re: does your area have a flea problem?

Have a holiday in the UK...........
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 09:23 PM

That's a bummer! The pleasure of Florida but with little visitors all year! Poor Geeps.

We have been introduced to a product called Advantage (a spot-on treatment). It treats worms, fleas but also lung worm which was sadly materialising in the UK.

I have also heard of daily garlic being a natural deterrent.

Rainbow

PS. (This may end up getting moved to the Pet Section)
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 09:25 PM

opps! forgot about pet section.
all you mentioned has been tried- works for a few days then stops.
She goes bonkers !!!!
romfty
spain
romfty is male 

20-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Just a tip............if you look after your dogs hair, as you do your own he/she won't get fleas.?
dragon
florida, usa

20-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Got news Bogman! Geeps gets more grooming per week then I give myself. I spare nothing when it comes to her.
Our flea problem gets worse every year due in part to them building up immunity to various chemicals.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 09:38 PM

A product called Frontline is widely used in England, which I find does the job. It is supposed to have a lasting effect. Fortunately, fleas are not a problem, inside or out, for us, but I am sympathetic Dragon, flea bites are a nuisance.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by romfty ->
Have a holiday in the UK...........
Yea, but leave the fleas behind!!

Rainbow
dragon
florida, usa

20-01-2011, 09:44 PM

Frontline doesn't work either. Getting the impression that what stops working here gets sent over there.
Star caps can be used every day (pill that dog/cat swallows & kills fleas in 5 minutes-fleas fall off) But I only use it twice a week-don't trust it enough to use every day.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

20-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
Got news Bogman! Geeps gets more grooming per week then I give myself. I spare nothing when it comes to her.
Our flea problem gets worse every year due in part to them building up immunity to various chemicals.

That's the frustration, fleas are like rats and can quickly adapt!

How about an Australian type hat with corks hanging from it? Could that scare 'em off? Geeps would look great in one and so might you!!

Rainbow

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top