Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Sorry NOT the Pet for me!

Have you ever considered an official Pet (just in case anyone mentions a Hippo or similar) - but changed your mind for some reason?

Many years ago, I was attracted to Love Birds - still think how lovely they are. So I decided to investigate further ..... in doing so I heard them squawk .... it was so loud and ear-splitting, that I realised I could not cope with that!

I also admire Parrots and Cockatoos etc. However, because they live a great age, they would probably outlive me (even if I was only 20) - and I know I would worry about what would happen without me to continue caring for the bird.

Rainbow
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Re: Sorry NOT the Pet for me!

As a child I tried to make almost everything I came across into a pet, both wild finds and tame things. My problem was that I hated to see things confined in cages - birds in particular I always feel so sorry for. Because this feeling stayed with me and I developed a strong sense of wrong about it, I would not keep a caged animal, paticularly a bird - so I'll stick with my dogs.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Aerolor, The lovely thing with Parrots is they spend most time outside their large 'cage homes'. Either on top, or with the Owner.

But I too will always prefer my dogs and the cats of course.

Rainbow
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
Aerolor, The lovely thing with Parrots is they spend most time outside their large 'cage homes'. Either on top, or with the Owner.

But I too will always prefer my dogs and the cats of course.

Rainbow

Budgies are "little" parrots Rainbow and we had two - they were out of the cage a lot, but I still felt sorry for them. One summer day they were outside in the garden in their cage - the cage blew over and they escaped. I felt so bad aout it as I knew what would happen to them. There are so many caged birds living in misery - I am convinced it is not how it should be - even a parrot would prefer its freedom and to be wild in the country where it belongs.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

20-01-2011, 10:55 PM

It must be wonderful observing these beautiful birds (but wild) flying freely in the Country of their origin. (Especially compared to our pigeons)!!

Rainbow
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

20-01-2011, 11:06 PM

pigeons - flipping pigeons - don't get me started - wood pigeons are everywhere these days and bold as brass in our garden. The other birds don't get a look in anymore. Apparently they breed for about 10-11 months of the year. Can we use them for pigeon pies do you think ?
Rainbow
Surrey UK

20-01-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
pigeons - flipping pigeons - don't get me started - wood pigeons are everywhere these days and bold as brass in our garden. The other birds don't get a look in anymore. Apparently they breed for about 10-11 months of the year. Can we use them for pigeon pies do you think ?

Have a word with dragon, she is into catfish and hushpuppies!

Rainbow
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2011, 11:37 PM

All our animals have been rescued ones to save them from being put down.

I did breed tropical fish for several years and bought a Silver shark which kept eating the smaller fish so it had to go.

I have always fancied Parrots but never had one.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

20-01-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
Have a word with dragon, she is into catfish and hushpuppies!

Rainbow
So I've heard Rainbow. I think I would prefer a bit of pigeon - just need somebody to shoot them for me, then I'll cook em
Rainbow
Surrey UK

20-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
All our animals have been rescued ones to save them from being put down.

I did breed tropical fish for several years and bought a Silver shark which kept eating the smaller fish so it had to go.

I have always fancied Parrots but never had one.

Tropical fish are just wonderful, and so peaceful in the evening with the light of the tank to watch them.

(How big does this Silver Shark grow? Presume you were not at risk of being eaten too)!

Rainbow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top